Question oracle certification worth it?

Hi

Any advice please on Oracle certification and getting into Oracle DBA career. I have done some MCP exams (networking and vb) but I have serious cold feat with the certification business. This is mainly because I dont have solid long term experience and I have found that relying on a certification to get a job is pointless ( did MCSE NT 4.0 and I never did get a job anywhere near an NT 4.0 server, due to...you guessed it...no experience!).
    However I am interested in learning Oracle for future career growth but I have no experience with Oracle other than walking past a server with Oracle running on it (about four years ago). This leaves me in a pretty pathetic situation as I have NO experience, would like to get into it and have no idea how.I have been to the Oracle University site and seen courses for "experienced" SQL users but not introduction courses. The only experience I have with databases is a year developing an Access stand alone application(far cry from enterprise wide RDMS). My current job gives me no Oracle exposure so Im really trying to find out any suggestions on how to get into Oracle in the future.

One thing I dread is spending money and time only for it to be a waste with no experience to back it up.

If this topic has been posted before Ill expect no reply and will search for it.

Thanks

Karl_the_second

Thumbs up

Hi,

Try to get the OCP Application developer guide by Oracle Press.
    It contains the introduction to SQL, Pl/Sql etc., This book will also be useful for your Certification course.
    SATHISH .

thanks

thanks, I will try and find that book you suggested.

That book is for developers, not DBA's. That said, you DO need to be familiar with SQL and PL/SQL to be a successful Oracle DBA. However, you need to know more about Oracle concepts, and for that, I recommend the free Oracle Concepts guide, available from otn.oracle.com. You have to register (it's free) at the site, and click on "documentation" once you are logged in. Go to Oracle Server 9i, and check out all the docs there. If you want to purchase Oracle Press books, the lowest prices I've seen are at bookpool.com. But do check out the free documentation at otn.oracle.com first - it's really good.

I got my certification only after being a DBA for a couple of years, and working with databases for a few years prior to that. As you mentioned, certification is not intended to be a "first step" in a career path. It's really more of a credential to validate experience and knowledge aquired while working as a DBA. If you are currently employed, see if your company will pay for courses. There are introductory courses, such as Introduction to Oracle and PL/SQL (a 5-day course). Check out Oracle University for details. You will get more out of the courses if you have some DBA experience going into them. Install Personal Oracle or Oracle Lite on your PC, create a database, and get some practice.

Re: oracle certification worth it?

Originally posted by Karl_the_second
    Any advice please on Oracle certification and getting into Oracle DBA career. I have done some MCP exams (networking and vb) but I have serious cold feet with the certification business. This is mainly because I dont have solid long term experience and I have found that relying on a certification to get a job is pointless ( did MCSE NT 4.0 and I never did get a job anywhere near an NT 4.0 server, due to...you guessed it...no experience!).
    However I am interested in learning Oracle for future career growth but I have no experience with Oracle other than walking past a server with Oracle running on it (about four years ago). This leaves me in a pretty pathetic situation as I have NO experience, would like to get into it and have no idea how. My current job gives me no Oracle exposure so I'm really trying to find out any suggestions on how to get into Oracle in the future.
    "Wise you are, young Jedi, for you know what you know not."

No one will ever be able to sell you more "certifications." Good for you.

I observe that you are dissatisfied with your current job, because you feel that it's going nowhere. Your conclusion is that, "therefore I must find another job and learn Oracle," but is that your only possible conclusion; your only possible course of action? I think not. Certainly it is by far the most risky, the most uncertain, and the most psychologically unsettling of all of the many alternatives available to you now. Brew up a cup of your favorite espresso, sit in your favorite flower garden, and ponder this for a while. Those flowers, my young apprentice, just may have something to tell you ...

"Bloom where you are planted," they say. Discuss your concerns with your boss. Maybe he or she can provide you with more challenges, and doubtless he or she can provide you with some candid advice. (By far the easiest place to get a new job is where you already have one.) Ponder exactly why it is that you've latched onto "Oracle," and look deeper for the source of your present discontent. Everywhere you look, you will find more options, and with every one you find, your panic will subside.

Remember that no one is ever hired for "what they know," or "because they know it," but rather they are hired because of what they have demonstrated they can do. Every person with a particular bit of technical knowledge, at one time did not possess it. But they knew how to get it, probably accomplished the original task with a fair amount of educated guesses and a whole lot of reading, and probably did it in a very long weekend. They learned on the job, and they did it by pushing the envelope of their present position, because "by far the easiest employee to hire to do a new job is an employee you've already got."

Finally: while you should candidly admit to yourself what your self-perceived limits of knowledge and so-forth are, you should always remember Alfred Hitchcock's acting advice given to Ingrid Bergman:
    "Ingrid, fake it."
    That's what actresses do, now isn't it? No matter how many times you've read over your lines, at some point you just walk out on that stage, and you do it. Nobody gave you permission and maybe no one applauds. But that's what lets an actress drop into a new and unfamiliar, therefore challenging role, and to know just what to do as if by instinct. Then they create more opportunities for themselves, of whatever type of role they discover they prefer. Directors watch, gain confidence, and hire them.
    Last edited by sundialsvcs; 12-11-03 at 16:36.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

best post ive ever read

thanks for your post.
    i think ill spend some time in the garden and think things through abit, try and build on what i have done instead of starting afresh in something i " know not"

Thumbs up

Hi,

I hope this Newyear will turn things right for You.

All the Best.
    SATHISH .

Experience

So how would you suggest getting around the old catch 22. You can't get the job you want without the experience and you can't get the experience without the job...

I really like what sundialsvcs has to say about the topic but I can't help but be discouraged. One could speak with thier managers to help them but not every manager is going to be as accomidating. Sometimes the only alternative is to look for a new job.

I was hoping certification would help me build a strong case but I have been reading a lot of post by people who say certification is a waste of time. Anyone have any sugestions on how to get the job you want without the experience they are looking for.

Thanks,
    Jamin

Re: Experience

I would say that certification is not always a waste of time. I certainly don't regard my OCP certification as a waste of time. It was useful training that complemented my OJT and helped me build on the Oracle DBA skills I already had.

It's not a complete catch 22, either. After all, all of us DBA's had no experience at some point. In my case, I got my foot in the door by doing non-Oracle work for a project manager for about a year. She moved on to another project which involved Oracle and invited me to join her team. I worked with a more senior DBA on that project, which allowed me to build my skills and experience without being completely responsible for all the databases.

Originally posted by jamin0
    So how would you suggest getting around the old catch 22. You can't get the job you want without the experience and you can't get the experience without the job...

I really like what sundialsvcs has to say about the topic but I can't help but be discouraged. One could speak with thier managers to help them but not every manager is going to be as accomidating. Sometimes the only alternative is to look for a new job.

I was hoping certification would help me build a strong case but I have been reading a lot of post by people who say certification is a waste of time. Anyone have any sugestions on how to get the job you want without the experience they are looking for.

Thanks,
    Jamin

Thumbs down Help Needed From Expert

Quote Originally Posted by daveman1 View Post
    That book is for developers, not DBA's. That said, you DO need to be familiar with SQL and PL/SQL to be a successful Oracle DBA. However, you need to know more about Oracle concepts, and for that, I recommend the free Oracle Concepts guide, available from otn.oracle.com. You have to register (it's free) at the site, and click on "documentation" once you are logged in. Go to Oracle Server 9i, and check out all the docs there. If you want to purchase Oracle Press books, the lowest prices I've seen are at bookpool.com. But do check out the free documentation at otn.oracle.com first - it's really good.

I got my certification only after being a DBA for a couple of years, and working with databases for a few years prior to that. As you mentioned, certification is not intended to be a "first step" in a career path. It's really more of a credential to validate experience and knowledge aquired while working as a DBA. If you are currently employed, see if your company will pay for courses. There are introductory courses, such as Introduction to Oracle and PL/SQL (a 5-day course). Check out Oracle University for details. You will get more out of the courses if you have some DBA experience going into them. Install Personal Oracle or Oracle Lite on your PC, create a database, and get some practice.

G mrng frnds,Very new in this group,I am PHP Developer,saty in kolkata, working around 1yr and 6 months,very willing to be a Database Developer,but no jobs are available in my city,currently,I wanna switch towords Oracle Database Developer,is OCP Developer Track certification will be helopfull for me,if anybody else working on Database Developer put some sugession.Thank You...