Unanswered: The saga has ended, i.e. finally was able to run Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Manager.

hi folks,
    the following is the product of my four weeks long, on and off, struggle with running Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Manager on Win XP machine. I thought i'd summarize my experience in the list to follow so that should any other poor fellow encounter the same problems i did, hopefully they'll be able to solve them faster than i did with its help (warning: it's a bit long). The "wisdom" below has been collected from at least three different message boards:

Instructions for Installing/Troubleshooting Oracle 8i Enterprise Manager on WinXP Machine

A. Install Oracle 8i software. Choose Enterprise option. When asked whether or not to create local database, pick “Yes”.
    B. Memorize the name you picked for your database. After installation, navigate to Start>Control Panel>……>Services. Locate the service called OracleService[name you picked for local database]. If its status is anything else than Started, start it by right-clicking and selecting Start or by clicking Start in the upper-left corner of the window. If that doesn’t work (sometimes the status hangs up on Starting) or if it gives you the following error message:

[Could not start the OracleService[service name here] on Local Computer

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in
    a timely fashion.],

try this: open a Command Prompt window and type:

C:/oradim –startup –sid [name you picked for local database] –usrpwd

If that doesn’t work either, restart your machine and try again. Another thing to try in case the service is still not started is to navigate to the file C:/Oracle/Oracle81/network/ADMIN/sqlnet.ora and on the line:

If, and only if, the status of the Oracle service under Services is Started, proceed to step C.

C. Open Net8 Assistant (Start>All Programs>Oracle – OraHome81>Network Administration > Net8 Assistant). First you must create a listener for the local database service you created in step A. and made sure started successfully in step B. Do this by:

1. Expand Local and then Listeners.
    2. Click on the Plus (+) sign or select Edit>Create.
    3. In the panel that appears under Listening Locations click Add Address and then select IPC for Protocol and type “ORCL” in the Key text box.
    4. Under Database Services, click Add Database. In the Global DatabaseName text box, type your database Global Name. Note that the Global is NOT the same as the Service ID (SID). To check which one is which, open the following file: C:/Oracle/admin/[local database name]/pfile/init.ora. There is variable here called service_names. Its value is what you’ll need to fill for Global Database Name in the corresponding text box. There is another variable called db_name. Its value is what you need to fill out for SID. (Note: service_names = db_name.db_domain; doman_name can also be found in the above mentioned file). Finally, you’ll probably need to check the option Do Not Use Prespawned Dedicated Servers, but I am not sure about that.
    5. Click on File>Save Network Configuration.
    6. Again navigate to the Services window (Start>Control Panel>….>Services).
    7. There should be a service there called OracleOraHome81TNS[listener name goes here]. Start it. Only if that’s done go to next step.

D. Create an Oracle Service Name via Net8 Assistant.

1. With Service Naming Selected, click on the Plus(+) sign or select Edit>Create.
    2. Select IPC for protocol.
    3. Select ORCL for the IPC key value.
    4. For Service Name enter the SID name (or db_name) from above.
    5. Test the connection. If there is an error message about the TNS service not existing or the about listener not found, go back to steps B and/or C and make sure the Oracle service and the Oracle listener are both “Started” under Services.
    6. Only when testing the connection was successful, you may proceed to the next step.

E. Create an Oracle Data Source via the ODBC Data Source Administrator.

1. Navigate to Start>All Programs>Oracle – OraHome81>Network Administration >ODBC Data Source Administrator.
    2. I am not sure here if it makes any difference whether you create the Data Source under User DSN or System DSN (I picked System DSN and it worked fine).
    3. Click on Add. Select Oracle ODBC Driver from the drivers list.
    4. Click on Finish. Enter the name you picked for the Oracle Service you created in step D. for both Data Source Name and Service Name.
    5. Click OK.

F. Create a Database via the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant.

1. Navigate to Start>All Programs>Oracle – OraHome81>Database Administration >Database Configuration Assistant.
    2. Enter service_names from step C.4. for Global Database Name and db_name for SID.

G. Create a Management Server Repository.

1. Navigate to Start>All Programs>Oracle – OraHome81>Enterprise Manager >Configuration Assistant.
    2. Enter any Username and Password and for Service, enter the Oracle Service Name you created in step D.

H. Edit Management Server Configuration Parameters.

1. Still in the Oracle Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant, select the Edit Configuration Parameters checkbox.
    2. On the next screen, enter the information from step G.2.

I. Log in to Oracle Enterprise Manager.

1. 1. Navigate to Start>All Programs>Oracle – OraHome81>Enterprise Manager >Console.
    2. For Username enter “sysman” and for Password “oem_temp” (although I am not too sure about that).
    3. If you get the following error message:

"VTK-1000: Unable to connect to Management Server. Please verify
    that you have entered the correct name and status of the Oracle
    Management Server ",

that probably means your OracleOra81HomeManagementServer service has not been started. Go to Services, locate the above mentioned service and try to start it. If it is still not starting, do the following: right-click on the service name, select Properties>Log On and make sure the checkbox Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. This will bring up a command prompt window the next time you try to start the service. Do so, and take note of the messages displayed in the command prompt window.
    4. If the following error message:

"ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied"

is displayed in the command prompt window, that means you entered different Usernames/Passwords in steps G. and H. In step H. you should enter the same log-in information as in step G.
    5. If you get an error message about a file called resources.ora not being found, that means that file is in the wrong location. The Oracle installer puts it in a directory called /ORACLE HOME/Ora81/orb/admin, while Enterprise Manager looks for it in ORACLE HOME/admin/orb. So just move the file to the location it is being look for into.
    6. So after you do all that, try starting OracleManagementServer service again. If you get the following error message:

“Discovery of [machine name].[domain name] failed due to null”,

do this: locate the file /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and in it insert the following line:

[IP address] [machine name].[domain name],

where for IP address you’ll probably need to put
    Last edited by my_lou; 12-01-03 at 17:04.