Question Unanswered: fixpack and database restore question

We are moving our current production database, DB2 UDB 7.2 FP6, over to a new server. As such I have installed a new copy of DB2 on the new server running under AIX 5.2L. Question- before I perform a redirected restore to clone and move the database over to the new server, do I need to install the latest fixpacks on the new system or will the redirected restore take care of this? Thanks

Scott

I am not sure I understand the Fixpak situation you have on the new server, but I would test it out using the Sample database.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

update to the problem

We are currently on Fixpack 6 for our production DB2 UDB 7.2 database on AIX 5.2L both AIX and DB2 are 32 bit versions. The project is to move the database to new server hardware using redirected restore procedure. Right now I don't care so much about getting to Fixpack10a as much as moving the database over to the new server with the same fixpack release that we have currently. I have installed DB2 on the new server and we are ready to run the redirected restore. However, do I need to update the fixpacks to release 6 before I do this or can I just run the redirected restore? Thanks

Scott

Re: update to the problem

Have I done anything like this ? ..... mmmm ... Don't seem to recall ...

Well, I think you can restore a database at one FP level to another .... Once you restore, make sure you issue the two bind commands (the commands suggested in the fixpak installations) ...

Well, but I'd suggest you do a sample restore anyway before doing the original restore

Sathyaram

Originally posted by mixxalot
    We are currently on Fixpack 6 for our production DB2 UDB 7.2 database on AIX 5.2L both AIX and DB2 are 32 bit versions. The project is to move the database to new server hardware using redirected restore procedure. Right now I don't care so much about getting to Fixpack10a as much as moving the database over to the new server with the same fixpack release that we have currently. I have installed DB2 on the new server and we are ready to run the redirected restore. However, do I need to update the fixpacks to release 6 before I do this or can I just run the redirected restore? Thanks

Scott
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

We have restore different database at different fixpak a bunch of times. No problems, just re-run the bind commands to bind to that level. A database copy does not bring over the fixpaks. Fixpaks are software that reside at the OS level. You would need to install the fixpak to get it up to the level you want. We have went both ways, older to newer and newer to older.

Re: fixpack and database restore question

Originally posted by mixxalot
    We are moving our current production database, DB2 UDB 7.2 FP6, over to a new server. As such I have installed a new copy of DB2 on the new server running under AIX 5.2L. Question- before I perform a redirected restore to clone and move the database over to the new server, do I need to install the latest fixpacks on the new system or will the redirected restore take care of this? Thanks

Scott
    You can restore the FP6 database to a previous level, but at least DB2 V7.2 (or 7.1 with FP3) is required. It's described in the fixpack readme at ftp.software.ibm.com//ps/products/db2/fixes/english-us/db2aixv7/FP6_U481406/FixpackReadme.txt

Yes, you do need to install the fixpaks, just like before. They will not be brought over by restoring the database. The fixpak code is part of the instance, not the database.

In fact, I believe IBM will tell you to upgrade to fixpak 8 when moving to AIX 5.