Thread: View?

Wink Unanswered: View?

hi..

can anybody suggest a good URL where i can know all the details about
    'Views' with examples containing joins.

thnQ.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    http://tahiti.oracle.com contains all the manuals for Oracle DBs.

not to ride this thread....but is it possible to create a view that's stored in memory instead of on physical disk?

Smile

Think of "a view" as "a query that looks, smells, and tastes like a ground-roast table." (That makes sense if you've had Taster's Choice coffee... if you haven't, don't bother. )

So the notion of "a view that is stored on disk" really doesn't apply.

Views are used to limit the number of rows a user can see, and/or the selection of columns. If the user has no permissions to the underlying table, he can only look through the view. He can only see, and do, what the view allows.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

"Think of "a view" as "a query that looks, smells, and tastes like a ground-roast table." (That makes sense if you've had Taster's Choice coffee... if you haven't, don't bother. )"

wierd...that's the way my professor described it today in class.

"So the notion of "a view that is stored on disk" really doesn't apply."

i was thinking along the lines of a client that needed to access info from a db via the web. the client would pass the criteria to the RDBMS and a view would be created so that client could see the results. instead of having this view stored on the RDBMS or client's HD it would be stored in memory since it's only temporary data.

wierd...that's the way my professor described it today in class.

i was thinking along the lines of a client that needed to access info from a db via the web. the client would pass the criteria to the RDBMS and a view would be created so that client could see the results. instead of having this view stored on the RDBMS or client's HD it would be stored in memory since it's only temporary data.
    I guess we all read the same books. But what you are describing here is simply ... "a query." You run the query using the user-specified options and the result of the query is a set of records. You display a range of records from the result and that's it.

In other words, there is no reason to "create a view." A view is a permanently-defined query that's stored in the database (part of the definition of the database). You have need for that. What you're describing is simply a one-shot, ad hoc query.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

thank you for clearing that up.

Smile Re: View?

HI RASEENA,

I like to contact you on personal basis, here is my personal email id.

Please contact me for further details. dreamz_24@hotmail.com

Originally posted by raseena
    hi..

can anybody suggest a good URL where i can know all the details about
    'Views' with examples containing joins.

thnQ.