Unanswered: exit program from VBA ( batch processing )

HI,

I'm running an Access macro from MYSCRIPT.BAT file. The command line is something like:

my_db.mdb /x my_sub

The intention is to perform a macro, and then close Ms-Access completely. This works up to one point: Access does indeed come up, the subroutine executes well.

But at the end of my VBA code, I need to close Ms-Access completely, so that execution passes to the next command in the BAT file. I have tried the following, without any success:

Application.CloseCurrentDatabase
    Application.Quit
    DoCmd.Quit

Any ideas ?

Perhaps the problem is I have no Form at all in my application. I'm doing plain batch processing, but I don't mind something coming up on the screen for a few moments, as long as it goes away.

Andrew

If you are running a macro... Try adding the Quit Action to the macro and see what happens.

S-

Provided Answers: 1

Re: exit program from VBA ( batch processing )

Originally posted by andrewsc
    HI,

I'm running an Access macro from MYSCRIPT.BAT file. The command line is something like:

my_db.mdb /x my_sub

The intention is to perform a macro, and then close Ms-Access completely. This works up to one point: Access does indeed come up, the subroutine executes well.

But at the end of my VBA code, I need to close Ms-Access completely, so that execution passes to the next command in the BAT file. I have tried the following, without any success:

Application.CloseCurrentDatabase
    Application.Quit
    DoCmd.Quit

Any ideas ?

Perhaps the problem is I have no Form at all in my application. I'm doing plain batch processing, but I don't mind something coming up on the screen for a few moments, as long as it goes away.

Andrew
    Using the sendKeys you can send Ctr+F4

I also came upon the solution with the macro, but that by itself was not sufficient. If I did a QUIT action from the macro, a system-modal message box came up, complaining the MDB file cannot be found. This of course held back my batch.

I figured that the Microsoft exit logic was written for graphical environment, so I must have a form opening and closing. The final solution looks like this:

- use AutoExec macro, instead of the /X swith on the command line

- the AutoExec macro calls my VBA code, which does the main work

- after the work is complete, the VBA code does:
    DoCmd.OpenForm my_form.

- after this, control returns from the VBA code to the macro. This probably gives time for the form to come up

- next, the AutoExec macro does
    Close my_form

- in my_form, the "close" event has the following code:
    Application.quit

A rather contorted way, I must admit, but it works. I guess the trick was to allow the form to fully come up, forcing a few context switches in between.

Andrew