Unanswered: splitting Access dba

hi

Im trying to split an Access database for dual data input on two PCs (win 98 and Win 2000 ) I understand how it works : split dba (only tables) , leave split tables on server then copy original dba (linked to split one with tables) on workstation for users. Problem is I get a "search key not found " and " invalid procedure call" during split. The dba does split but with no table links to original dba.

Any help plz

thanks

Karl_the_second

Re: splitting Access dba

It sounds to me as if there is a problem with some code in your database and the database has not been left in a compiled state. Try re-compiling the code and see if that throws up any errors, which you should then fix before attempting the split.

Originally posted by Karl_the_second
    hi

Im trying to split an Access database for dual data input on two PCs (win 98 and Win 2000 ) I understand how it works : split dba (only tables) , leave split tables on server then copy original dba (linked to split one with tables) on workstation for users. Problem is I get a "search key not found " and " invalid procedure call" during split. The dba does split but with no table links to original dba.

Any help plz

thanks

Karl_the_second
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

It sounds to me as if there is a problem with some of the code in your database, and the database has not been left in a compiled state. Try re-compiling the code in your database, and see if that throws up any errors which you should then fix before retrying the split.

hi

Any help plz

thanks

Karl_the_second
    Andy Briggs

dba works

there are no errors though as when the database is run it works perfectly every time. there is however alot of code in the database, functions etc , so i will have a look through the code.

Re: dba works

Yes, that's a good idea because a database can appear to run perfectly even if there is a compile error in the code. Good luck!!

there are no errors though as when the database is run it works perfectly every time. there is however alot of code in the database, functions etc , so i will have a look through the code.
    Andy Briggs

no relationships in relationship window

ok ive noticed something else thats very strange. it must have something to do with the way the database was packaged or rapped up. when in design mode of the database there are no relationships in the table window. it just shows the tables. when trying to recreate the relationships i get a "no search key found " msg. However this dba works 100% in run mode, can enter data etc no problem, reports work etc etc.

this must have an obvious effect on trying to split the dba and make new links for the tables.

there is error handling code on every single procedure and event so if any of the code is sticky there would be an error msg pointing to the event in question, the module name and it would be logged. so far no errors.

"strange days have found us " Jim Morrison

Re: no relationships in relationship window

Hmmm.....very strange indeed. The next thing to do, which I'm sure you've though of, is a compact, and see if that generates any errors.

ok ive noticed something else thats very strange. it must have something to do with the way the database was packaged or rapped up. when in design mode of the database there are no relationships in the table window. it just shows the tables. when trying to recreate the relationships i get a "no search key found " msg. However this dba works 100% in run mode, can enter data etc no problem, reports work etc etc.

this must have an obvious effect on trying to split the dba and make new links for the tables.

there is error handling code on every single procedure and event so if any of the code is sticky there would be an error msg pointing to the event in question, the module name and it would be logged. so far no errors.

"strange days have found us " Jim Morrison
    Andy Briggs

Hello again Karl,

Having done a bit of digging, it turns out that Microsoft's suggestion as the solution to this problem is to make sure that your PCs are running the same version of Windows.

hi

Any help plz

thanks

Karl_the_second
    Andy Briggs

you joking right?

im running win 2000 and win 98 but im still only working on the win 98 SE, making the split and thats as far as ive gotten! its office XP 03 version of Access.

i have compacted and repaired successfully and still have same problem with no relationships visible in the relationship window when in design mode but dba works like a charm in run mode no problems no errors.