Unanswered: Trouble closing open Excel object via Access

I have a module that opens a locked excel worksheet. It then creates a linked excel table used to populate a list box. Items selected from the list box are then written to a table. Once the user has made the selection and they are added to the table the dialog box closes and there is a function that deletes the link and closes open instance of excel. Or at least it is supposed to.

Anyway the excel worksheet that I open is set to not be visible. Then when I open another workbook it will not open. I have to go into task manager and end the Excel process before I can open another excel workbook. Everything I have read says the method that I am using should work. Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a solution?

Thank you,
    Gina

Re: Trouble closing open Excel object via Access

Originally posted by glee0511
    I have a module that opens a locked excel worksheet. It then creates a linked excel table used to populate a list box. Items selected from the list box are then written to a table. Once the user has made the selection and they are added to the table the dialog box closes and there is a function that deletes the link and closes open instance of excel. Or at least it is supposed to.

Anyway the excel worksheet that I open is set to not be visible. Then when I open another workbook it will not open. I have to go into task manager and end the Excel process before I can open another excel workbook. Everything I have read says the method that I am using should work. Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a solution?

Thank you,
    Gina
    If you have opened Excel using VBA along the lines of

Dim objXL as objxl As Excel.Application
    Set objxl = New Excel.Application

to close Excel use this line to destroy the object:

Set objxl = Nothing

If you set Excel Visible to False, it does just that and makes Excel invisible! Trying to open another Excel document won't work until Excel is visible again

Thank you, but unfortunately that is the method that I'm using but for some reason setting it to "nothing" is not working.

Any ideas why?

Thanks,
    Gina

Originally posted by glee0511
    Thank you, but unfortunately that is the method that I'm using but for some reason setting it to "nothing" is not working.

Any ideas why?

Thanks,
    Gina
    Not sure why that isn't working as that is the correct way to close Excel. You could try objxl.Quit first to try and force Excel to close itself

This is my code that was already there.

Public Sub CloseExcelObj()

myExcelApp.Quit
    Set myExcelApp = Nothing

End Sub

I'm completely out of ideas. Could this be a Windows XP thing?

Me.MousePointer = 0
    Set objExcel = Excel.Application
    objExcel.Visible = True

objExcel.Workbooks(1).Close SaveChanges:=True, FileName:=App.Path & "\MyName" & Format(Now, "DD-mm-yyyy HH nn ss") & ".xls"

objExcel.Application.Quit
    objExcel.Quit
    Set objExcel = Nothing
    End Sub

I tried that and got an "application-defined or Object-defined" error on the objExcel.Workbooks.close.

I tried commenting that out. the objExcel.visible runs fine then the excel object appears to close. But when I go to open an excel workbook the menu bar and everything is visible but not the workbook itself.

???????

This is the code I am using, perhaps I am doing something else incorrectly. I had to use set myExcelApp=CreateObject("excel.application") because when I used just
    Set myExcelApp=excel.application I get an a "Object required" error.

Option Compare Database
    Public myExcelApp As Object

Public Sub OpenExcelObj()

Set myExcelApp = CreateObject("excel.application")
    myExcelApp.Workbooks.Open FileName:="L:\Miscellaneous\Sub List\Subs October 30, 2003 JAS.xls", ReadOnly:=False, Password:="commodore", WriteResPassword:="02466"
    myExcelApp.Visible = False
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acLink, 8, "SubsList", "L:\Miscellaneous\Sub List\Subs October 30, 2003 JAS.xls", True, ""

End Sub

Public Sub CloseExcelObj()

myExcelApp.Visible = True
    myExcelApp.Workbooks.Close FileName:="L:\Miscellaneous\Sub List\Subs October 30, 2003 JAS.xls"
    myExcelApp.Application.Quit
    myExcelApp.Quit
    Set myExcelApp = Nothing

End Sub