Unanswered: Connecting to DB2 on OS/390-MVS with JDBC

Hello, I have searched around a while for an answer to what I think is a simple question, but I keep finding conflicting reports, articles, etc. (including one post here).

When using any of the IBM supplied jdbc Drivers, do you HAVE to use DB2Connect to access DB2, when it is running on an OS/390?? I know you don't have to have DB2Connect if the version of DB2 is running on a MS Windows Server, but I am starting to believe this is not the case for an OS/390, MVS setup.

The Server I have my JAVA code on is a Windows XP machine.
    Version 7 of DB2 is running on a MVS mainframe with OS/390.

Pointing me to any documentation is welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Troy Harris

yes, you need db2 connect

Originally posted by nibupaul
    yes, you need db2 connect
    Thankyou for the reply nibupaul! Now is there any documentation of this anywhere? I am a Java Developer who has been working with JDBC for a few years. I have mentioned that this might be the case (needing to use DB2Connect) but everyone just seems to think its not even worth discussing or checking into.

Thankyou again.
    Troy

visit www.db2click.com for links to db2 documentation

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by tlh1005
    Thankyou for the reply nibupaul! Now is there any documentation of this anywhere? I am a Java Developer who has been working with JDBC for a few years. I have mentioned that this might be the case (needing to use DB2Connect) but everyone just seems to think its not even worth discussing or checking into.

Thankyou again.
    Troy
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Neon Shadow Direct

We use Neon Shadow Direct (Neon Systems) as our JDBC driver to connect to DB2 on the OS/390. It works very well, but it is very pricy. NeonSystems provides very good technical support.