Unanswered: update entire column

is it possible in Oracle 9i to update an entire column with a collection variable. eg
    in my stored prc i have a pl/sql table "mytab" which has one column "mysal". i do a bulk collect into this table for all the records from the employee table. i process the data and have made the changes to the salary in mytab. now i need to bulk update the entire column salary of employee table with mysal of mytab.
    just like bulk collect, does Oracle provide for any way of doing a bulk update

Provided Answers: 1

Re: update entire column

Originally posted by milindoke
    is it possible in Oracle 9i to update an entire column with a collection variable. eg
    in my stored prc i have a pl/sql table "mytab" which has one column "mysal". i do a bulk collect into this table for all the records from the employee table. i process the data and have made the changes to the salary in mytab. now i need to bulk update the entire column salary of employee table with mysal of mytab.
    just like bulk collect, does Oracle provide for any way of doing a bulk update
    Yes, there is FORALL:

Code:
    declare

type num_tab is table of number index by binary_integer;
      empno_tab num_tab;
      sal_tab num_tab;

begin

select empno, sal
      bulk collect into empno_tab, sal_tab
      from emp;

for i in 1..empno_tab.COUNT loop
        sal_tab(i) := sal_tab(i) + 10000;
      end loop;

forall i in 1..empno_tab.COUNT
         update emp set sal = sal_tab(i)
         where empno = empno_tab(i);

end;
    /
    This does of course require that you saved the PK values into a table as well as the salaries!

what if i skip the "WHERE" caluse of the update. actually i am in a situation where i do not have PK. so i was expecting a column overlap sortof thing. i might be sounding absurd but cant help it. to explain a bit further consider that i have the employee table sorted on emp_id and when the sal_tab is loaded i sort on emp_id. since both are sorted on emp_id, i want to actually replace the entire column salary with this sal_tab.

Provided Answers: 1
    This is not a good way to do things, but it could be done like this:

Code:
    declare
      cursor c is
        select sal from emp
        order by empno
        for update of sal;

i integer :=0;
    begin
      for r in c loop
        i := i+1;
        update emp set sal = saltab(i)
        where current of c;
      end loop;
    end;
    /
    There is no way to do that in one statement, unless you have the table of PK values.