Unanswered: DB2 get db cfg ... and Java

Is it possible to query the parameters shown with the "db2 get db cfg" command with Java?? Perhaps I can use JDBC ??
    Or is there an other possibility to get information about the codeset and the territory of a database with java?

Thanks for answers!

Provided Answers: 5
    First of all, yes it is possible--but it is not straightforward.
    What you want to run is a DB2 command and will not work using jdbc. So the question is how do you execute a DB2 command in java? First you need to run the java app in a DB2 Command Window. Then you issue the DB2 commands to the parent process (DB2 Command Window) and read back in the results. Goto DB2 sample code web site:

http://www.developer.ibm.com/tech/sampdb2.html

and look for the java sample to run RUNSTATS. That will help guide you on writing java apps that can execute DB2 commands.

HTH

Andy

Re: DB2 get db cfg ... and Java

Hi,

Probably you already know this method but I can tell how I learn database parameters using Java.
    I use;
    Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("db2cmd /c /w /i db2 get db cfg for <dbname>");
    and get the result with BufferedReader.

I would be happy to learn a better method if it's possible (with JDBC or something else).
    Kezban

That is basically what I outlined above. There is no way to do it in JDBC.

Andy

Originally posted by KezbanB
    Hi,

Probably you already know this method but I can tell how I learn database parameters using Java.
    I use;
    Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("db2cmd /c /w /i db2 get db cfg for <dbname>");

I would be happy to learn a better method if it's possible (with JDBC or something else).

A table function MAY be an option ...

ie create a tablefunction to get the db cfg as a table and over jdbc you can use the tablefunction just as you would a DB2 UDF ..

Good luck

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

I haven't seen your answer while I was writing my post. Thanks for the info on JDBC.

Originally posted by ARWinner
    That is basically what I outlined above. There is no way to do it in JDBC.

Andy
    Kezban

Zahnk you for your advice! It works!
    But what about using a remote database? Before i can get such informations i must connect to the db from e.g. the command window an then run the java class!
    But i don't like that methode. Is there an other possibility?? JDBC Connection?

Originally posted by KezbanB
    Hi,

I use;

The JDBC connection will not work the way you would hope.
    But you can have the java program issue the CONNECT command just like all of the other commands.

HTH

Andy

Originally posted by mrkarlsruhe
    Zahnk you for your advice! It works!
    But what about using a remote database? Before i can get such informations i must connect to the db from e.g. the command window an then run the java class!
    But i don't like that methode. Is there an other possibility?? JDBC Connection?