Unanswered: Combining fields... Importing...

Ok.. so here's the situation
    I have one databse of products from which I want to generate my orders. The fields include company, category, sku, price, total, etc etc
    So I can sort for example, for everything I want from Company A, or I can sort for everything I need for a certain department.... makes sense?

Now what I want to do is find all my Company A's that I want to order from and export that data to my purchase order database. But here's the catch - when I import them into the POs, it creates a new record for each product, but what I want it to do is place all the products in a list on the PO page, rather than create a new PO for each individual product... Any ideas??

Thanks!

Mike
    michael@camptlc.com
    MSN: quilmrt@hotmail.com
    AIM: CanadaMike20

Re: Combining fields... Importing...

It seems to me that your working this backwards. Try working out of the PO, using the company field as the related field (set as a list box doing a 'look up' into company in the products db). Then I would set each line item for the PO as a 'look up' (also set as a list box) back to the related field for that company's products. You then could bring in the items for that company only into your PO. This assumings that all the products for that company are in the same record.
    Else if you want to populate you PO with ALL of that company's products, then you need to do this through calculations.
    I hope this gives you some help.

Originally posted by quilmrt
    Ok.. so here's the situation
    I have one databse of products from which I want to generate my orders. The fields include company, category, sku, price, total, etc etc
    So I can sort for example, for everything I want from Company A, or I can sort for everything I need for a certain department.... makes sense?

Now what I want to do is find all my Company A's that I want to order from and export that data to my purchase order database. But here's the catch - when I import them into the POs, it creates a new record for each product, but what I want it to do is place all the products in a list on the PO page, rather than create a new PO for each individual product... Any ideas??

Thanks!

Mike
    michael@camptlc.com
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Hmm great suggestion - but that would mean that I would know everthing that I need from each company - so that's not goign to work. What happens is this - I get all teh orders from 20 different departments - and some of them are ordering from the same companies, some from different companies. Once I have them all in the system - I want to click a "Create Purchase Order" script that exports all of the SKUs, quantities, prices, etc from the database and resets the amount to order to zero. Easy enough - I've got that built. What this system allows me to do is search for all products in a category and do all the orders for that department. - so I need it to work backwards. So I guess the quesiton is how can I get my 124 different records from the Product Database to go to one PO in the other one?

If anyone has any filemaker experience, I'd really appreciate a hand if you have a few minutes... no one seems to browse that forum, so I"m hoping one of you guys have some experience!

I work for a summer camp and there are many parts to a camp - ie candlemaking, fine arts, drama, horseback riding, etc. Each of these departments gives me a list of what to order from the database of products. So I have a product file in filemaker and on each product sheet, I put in how much each wants. It's very possible that someone in candelmaking and fine arts will want the same product, or will want porudcts from the same company as we order from 12 different companies. So all their order informaiton is in. I now do a find for all Company A products with an order quantity greater than zero. This represents all of my Company A order.

Now I would like to save that as a purchase order - so I've set up another file - my Purchase Order File. What I would like to do is somehow import all the orders for COmpany A to that file - like all on one purchase order, but instead of all the products going into the portal on the PO, it's creating a new purchase order for each product - PROBLEM 1. I need to figure out how to make many records go to one.

PROBLEM 2 - I need to reset the "order" quantity in the Product file to Zero - which isn't a problem when I do the export, I can do a replace, but if I were to do some sort of lookup or relationship with the PO file, then that owuldn't work.

So I'm asking for help with problem # 1 I guess, and then I can go from there - or maybe you think I'm doing this entirely wrong, in which case I'd also enjoy a repsonse
    Thanks so much everyone!

Mike