Thread: Scanned data

Unanswered: Scanned data

I have many years of board minutes that I would like to enter into a Filemaker database so our board can easily do a find on keywords to find old motions, etc. Is there a way to perhaps scan these pages instead of retyping all these pages? If it's a text field then I should be able to do a find, right? Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Re: Scanned data

Well, you could scan them and then place the image into a container field. But under this situation you would be unable to search within the image for a word or phrase. But to overcome this you could create refernece fields that have the meeting date, topic, agenda and ect that you could search in to bring them to this document image.
    BUT, the main question is, are your notes had written or are then in some sort of textal form (.txt, .doc)? If they are there is other was to handle this.

Originally posted by deejaybee
    I have many years of board minutes that I would like to enter into a Filemaker database so our board can easily do a find on keywords to find old motions, etc. Is there a way to perhaps scan these pages instead of retyping all these pages? If it's a text field then I should be able to do a find, right? Thanks in advance for your ideas.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Originally posted by RickKnight
    Well, you could scan them and then place the image into a container field. But under this situation you would be unable to search within the image for a word or phrase. But to overcome this you could create refernece fields that have the meeting date, topic, agenda and ect that you could search in to bring them to this document image.
    BUT, the main question is, are your notes had written or are then in some sort of textal form (.txt, .doc)? If they are there is other was to handle this.
    Most minutes are typed and filed in books. These books were passed along from volunteer to volunteer so there is no consistent form.

The type of scanning device that converts scans to text and it's related solftware would probably be cost prohibitive. So you best bet is to scan and place in a container OR start using some sort of word processor
    Good luck

Originally posted by deejaybee
    Most minutes are typed and filed in books. These books were passed along from volunteer to volunteer so there is no consistent form.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions