Unanswered: using Nvarchar2 instead of varchar2

What is the advantage of using nvarchar2 vs varchar2.
    My 9i database char set is set to AL32UTF8. So there is
    infact no need for me to use nvarchar2 for multi language storage.

But some developers say that because nvarchar2 doesn't decode the value, it is faster than using varchar2. Is that true and if yes what is the real performance gain.

Thanks

You cannot choose NCHAR OR CHAR based on performance. It can be chosen based on requirements. It has no relation with performnce. If your database is accessed by the users who cannot understand any language other than their own then, it is requred to have National language Support in your database.

For more information read oracle Documents
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

Originally posted by Hings
    You cannot choose NCHAR OR CHAR based on performance. It can be chosen based on requirements. It has no relation with performnce. If your database is accessed by the users who cannot understand any language other than their own then, it is requred to have National language Support in your database.

For more information read oracle Documents
    Yes, you are right. The purpose of using Nchars... is clear and is not related to performance in first place.
    But because Nchars... store the values as is and there is no character conversion taking place as compared to varchars.. in UTF8 database.
    So one make argument that there is performance gain. Just wanted to validate whether anyone tested the real performance in an heavy transaction environment.

Thanks