Unhappy Unanswered: S1T00Timeout expired

When I try and run a simple query in an ASP script to get a set of results from a pervasive table I get the following error return after a few seconds:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'

[Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][LNA][Pervasive][ODBC Engine Interface]S1T00Timeout expired.

/logged/super/bulk_email.asp, line 221

I have checked and re-checked all my script & server timeout settings and am pretty sure I have everything right as far as the script is concerned but to no avail.

Would someone have any idea what I could try to sort this error. We are using Pervasive v.8 and installed the recent patches but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bilge.

Provided Answers: 4
    Starting with V8, Pervasive now enforces the ODBC timeout. Does the same SQL statement cause the Timeout through other tools (like Access or ODBC Test)? THe PCC will not show this error as it doesn't set the time out. Make sure your ADO connection timeout is set to an appropriate value. WHat's the SQL doing that's taking more than probably 30 seconds (which I believe is the default)? Also, download the V8 SP1 HotFix from Pervasive. There was a defect (44655) that seems to apply to you. You'll want the MKDE and SRDE HotFix.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Originally posted by mirtheil
    Starting with V8, Pervasive now enforces the ODBC timeout. Does the same SQL statement cause the Timeout through other tools (like Access or ODBC Test)? THe PCC will not show this error as it doesn't set the time out. Make sure your ADO connection timeout is set to an appropriate value. WHat's the SQL doing that's taking more than probably 30 seconds (which I believe is the default)? Also, download the V8 SP1 HotFix from Pervasive. There was a defect (44655) that seems to apply to you. You'll want the MKDE and SRDE HotFix.

I am having the same problem.... My SQL statement works fine in the Pervasive Data Manager... but when I use it in a .NET application, I get the timeout. Now, I have had luck both selecting and updating via my .NET web application. However, as soon as the query involved a tiny bit of complexity AND is on the .NET web application, it times out.

Bizzare.

This query,
    update AMGR_User_Fields_Tbl set AlphaNumericCol='SomeItemeroo234' where Client_Id=(select client_ID from amgr_user_fields_tbl where amgr_user_Fields_tbl.type_id=43 and alphanumericCol LIKE '" & trim(ucase(strIDCUST)) & "') and Type_Id=27

(where strIDCUST = TES001)
    works fine via the Data Manager. It even works fine in my .NET web application when I replace the inner SQL statement with a client ID that I already know from my head.

But I get the error...
    Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][LNA][Pervasive][ODBC Engine Interface]S1T00Timeout expired.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: [Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][LNA][Pervasive][ODBC Engine Interface]S1T00Timeout expired.

Source Error:

Line 834: '"update AMGR_User_fields_TBL set DateCol=" & mxdate & " where client_id = '" & MXCLIENTID & "' and type_id=(SELECT AMGR_usrfldDEFStbl.type_ID from AMGR_usrfldDEFStbl where DESCRIPTION like '%Last Purchase%')"
    Line 835:
    Line 836: MXRS = MXMyConn.Execute(MXValidateUserSQL)
    Line 837: 'if not MXRS.eof then
    Line 838: 'CookieUtil.SetCookie("mxclientid", (MXRS(0).Value.ToString()))

Source File: C:\SETISbew\intranet\Langley\ordersummary.aspx Line: 836

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80040e31): [Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][LNA][Pervasive][ODBC Engine Interface]S1T00Timeout expired.]
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding .LateGet(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack) +895
    ASP.OrderSummary_aspx.ibpurchasenow_Click(Object sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) in C:\SETISbew\intranet\Langley\ordersummary.aspx:836
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(Imag eClickEventArgs e) +109
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.U I.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +69
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1258

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Provided Answers: 4
    BenF,
    You don't mention what version of Pervasive you're using but you'll want to make sure you've got the fix for the defect I mentioned in my last post. If the query takes longer than about 30 seconds, you will see the timeout message unless you change the timeout in your app or change the setting at the engine level.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.