Unanswered: DB2 Configuring for Dual Processors

Hi All,

We are using DB2 7.2.4 on Windows 2000 server. Recently we are upgraded our server with the Dual Processor. After Re-installing DB2 we are getting the following error in the db2diag.log

2003-12-04-11.16.18.109000 InstanceB2 Node:000
    PID:1004(db2syscs.exe) TID:1008 Appid:none
    base_sys_utilities LicCheckProcessors Probe:11

SQL8017W The number of processors on this machine exceeds the defined entitlement of "1" for the product "DB2 Enterprise Edition". The number of processors on this machine is "4". You should purchase additional processor entitlements from your IBM representative or authorized dealer and update your license using the License Center or the db2licm command line utility. For more information on updating processor licenses, refer to the Quick Beginnings manual for your platform. For more information on the db2licm utility, refer
    to the DB2 Command Reference.

Whats is this means ? Can we go ahead and deploy the same on the production level ? Can any issue be ther at a later stage becuase of this error ? Please help

The cost of DB2 is based on the number of processors. Your current license key does not allow for more than 1 processor. You will need a new license key that entitles you to 4 processors (which is what DB2 thinks you have), and which you will have to pay for. You probably should upgrade to version 8, instead of buying more processors entitlements for version 7.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hi Marcus

Thank you very much for your immediate response. Can you please let me know the following.

1. Can we deploy my current databases on the same platfrom .? (inspite we keep on getting this error which is logging in db2diag.log) Can this License problem create any damage to my databases deployed . Because it will take some time for us to upgrade to ver 8. Till such time can we deploy the same on dual processor. ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rajeev

Originally posted by Marcus_A
    The cost of DB2 is based on the number of processors. Your current license key does not allow for more than 1 processor. You will need a new license key that entitles you to 4 processors (which is what DB2 thinks you have), and which you will have to pay for. You probably should upgrade to version 8, instead of buying more processors entitlements for version 7.

I don't really know if you can still use it despite the error messages about the licensing problem. I doubt that your data will be damaged, but be careful because it may stop working completely after a certain time without proper licensing and you may not be able to do backups of the data.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Wink

Sorry for my english

you can use this command

db2licm -l

this display all the products with available license information

for upgrade the number of entitled processors you can use

db2licm -n<Product PWD>, <number processor>