Angry Unanswered: Clipper *.NTX index file corruption - HELP!

My problem is as follows:

I have a corrupted .NTX file (DBFNTX/1012 Corruption detected). It occurred after I had to End the program (control-alt-delete in Windows) because of constant system/application error messages that would not go away unless using this drastic shut down measure. I have a feeling the indexing of the temporary .NTX file in question was obviously stopped before being able to generate fully thus the application cannot continue now as a result.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to fix this?! This is a huge problem right now as the application is used to schedule over 2000 staff at our company!

Please help!?

Thanks in advance!

This is why backups are made on a fixed schedule, hourly if critical and daily if less critical. Backups should include all db AND indexes, even temp files.

Its been a long while since I've worked with Clipper. Index corruption is one of the reasons I stopped using it. Make a copy of the database that has the bad index to a dedicated machine. Use DBU or write a routine to check for the number of records WITHOUT indexing. Say you should have 20,000 records and the program shows only 11 records. Go to that record, skip to the next and use a hex editor to look at it. Many times its a bad header, but it also could be a missing field, or you may have garbage in the record or at the end of the record. Use the previous record as reference. Once you can CLEANLY "read" all the records, create all its indexes on your dedicated machine. You should have a "reindex" program in your toolkit, or its part of the program. Sorry, but you may also have to lose some records. Record all you can from those you junk. Replace the bad table and ALL its indexes with new ones from the dedicated machine.

Thanks vududoc

Well, in fact we are opting to go with the backup which was 2 weeks ago but it's better than a corrupted and non-functioning application.

As for the reindexing of the files as you recommend... may try that. Thanks alot for the response. Much appreciated!