Unanswered: Linking Subforms

In brief, the database allows a donor to contribute to multiple nonprofits and a nonprofit can be funded by multiple donors. The many to many is reconciled with a linking table, tblNonProfitDonors. Once a donor is linked to a nonprofit, they can contribute to multiple campaigns for that nonprofit and each campaign can have multiple transactions (pledges or donations).

Iíve created a main form with tblDonors as the source with links to three subforms, sbfNonProfits, sbfDonorEvals and sbfTransactions. The subform, sbfNonProfits, lets the user associate a donor with a nonprofit via a combo box on the form, writing a record to tblNonProfitDonors. This seems to work. The next subform, sbfDonorEvals, should display campaign data based on the active record in sbfNonProfits. New records can be added with the subform, but donít display after scrolling through donors on the main form. The last subform, sbfTransactions, should display donations and pledges based on the active record in sbfDonorEvals. Again, records can be added, but donít display after scrolling through donors on the main form.

Child and Master fields are linked on each subform. Iíve tried to add Requery without success, but I think Iím not inserting this in the right place. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Database is attached.

RDCD
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nonprofit Access User

Your link child field and Link master field are incorrect. Use the elipses button on the right end of one of those property fields to correct it. As well, your middle Evals sub form has data for donors 1, 3 and 4, but the master form has only donors 1 and 2.

subfrom links

I have the same problem when i am link a subform to another subform. i click on the ...eplise and get this message
    "Parts of the link with missing pair field will be ignored" In the link field dialog box i don't have to options to choose the master field from the first subform.

can you help?
    Nerdy Girl

You will have to change the query (record source) on the subform and main form so both include the fields that link the two forms. Once that is done, then use the elipses button and select the proper fields from the lists for the master and child forms.

Thanks for your help jrsubdury,
    but i managed to get around this problem by typing in the links myself. It makes the links fine, but the elipse still doesn't show the link as an option. Should I be concerned.
    Are there any disadvantages to using three subforms on a form?

thanks.
    Nerdy_Girl
    Nerdy Girl

Just check that it works. If the field in not in the pull down list, then how can the form know to what field it should link. I bet it does not work. I have some tabbed forms with 10 subforms on it including some with subforms themselves. Works fine.