Unanswered: SQL 2000 Accessing Query through HTTP Advantage??

I recently experimented with using the feature to access sql queries directly through the browser. I think its a neat feature but what are some practical advantages of doing this?

It has been some time since I have looked at this feature but here are my thoughts.

This is like most new features from ms - at first it is cool but not practical. Eventually, ms puts the appropriate thought behind it to make it useful.

The problem is security and exposing the structure of your database - with table names and field names.

The advantage is that you can retrieve data from sql server in xml and format that data using xsl -- all in one statement.

I would look at templates instead.

Thats my thoughts exactly. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Originally posted by rnealejr
    It has been some time since I have looked at this feature but here are my thoughts.

This is like most new features from ms - at first it is cool but not practical. Eventually, ms puts the appropriate thought behind it to make it useful.

The problem is security and exposing the structure of your database - with table names and field names.

The advantage is that you can retrieve data from sql server in xml and format that data using xsl -- all in one statement.

I would look at templates instead.