Unhappy Unanswered: SQL Registration

Hello all,

I'm trying to to create a new SQL Registration using the EM but getting permison denial message. Both sql server is running SQL 2000.
    I'm doing this on my home-network,which is setup on a Workgroup model, using Win XP prof & Win 2000 prof. I can see the other SQL Server when I try to register it.
    I have no problem registering a new instance at work from one machine to another, the network is setup as a Domain model.
    I try creating a ODBC system DSN as a connection test case, but fail with permission issue message.

My question: Is it possible to register a new sql on one machine to another using a peer-to-peer network setup? Reason behind all this is i'm trying to do replication at home. I would need to make one a Publisher and the other Subscriber, since I can not register or create a connection using ODBC as a test case. My conclusion is due to some authentication with sql server. I do have both local admin and sql server id/psw when I use to register.

Please advise if anyone have try to do this and run into the same issue.

Thank you all.
    Bryan

Howdy

If you can resolve the name of the server from the other machine then you should be able to set the connection.

Set up a lmhosts/hosts file on the client PC and then ping the SQL server by name. I fit cant find the server by name, you need to fix that.

Cheers,

SG.

Lightbulb

SG,

Thanks for your reponse. I have try adding my computer name + IP address in the host file but that does not work. I don't have a problem seeing other computer on my netwrok. I can share any files / resource to any computer I have on the network. I think it has to do with some authentication that SQL require for client, since workgroup permisson is stored at the local level for each computer. Anyway, fall back on plan B and updated my Win2k pro to server. That fix the problem. Hope their a more logical answer then that. Thank you for your attention.

-Bryan