Question Unanswered: Tool for Extracting SQL Commands and/or Metadata from a MS Access DB

Hello and thanks for viewing my question,

I was wondering if there are any (preferably) free tools or simple techniques for extracting SQL Commands and/or metadata from the data stored in a Microsoft Access Database. What I really want are the SQL commands so I can convert the Access DB into an Oracle or MySQL DB. I would also like to generate XML from the data.

I am not very learned in the ways of DataBases, so if you could keep that in mind while answering I would greatly appreciate it. I know VERY little about databases.

Thanks!
    Last edited by shzawn; 12-05-03 at 16:15.

Re: Tool for Extracting SQL Commands and/or Metadata from a MS Access DB

Originally posted by shzawn
    Hello and thanks for viewing my question,

I was wondering if there are any (preferably) free tools or simple techniques for extracting SQL Commands and/or metadata from the data stored in a Microsoft Access Database. What I really want are the SQL commands so I can convert the Access DB into an Oracle or MySQL DB. I would also like to generate XML from the data.

I am not very learned in the ways of DataBases, so if you could keep that in mind while answering I would greatly appreciate it. I know VERY little about databases.

Thanks!
    Hi Shzawn...

Maybe I'm wayyy off base as far as understanding what you want here... but it sounds like you need some documentation for the database... Table schemas, Relationships, Queries - SQL Statements, etc... If so, Access itself offers the ability to document the contents of the database... To use this option, look in the Tools menu (Tools -> Analyze -> Documenter) ... or search for "Documenter" in Access Help for more details...

There are some more comprehensive documentation tools available online ... Some freeware, some shareware, some retail... Do a search online for documenting Access databases and you should find at least a few other samples...

Let me know if this is completely different from what you are asking for... I do hope this helps...