Unanswered: DataManager Memory Limits

Hi we're on AIX5.1L (ML4) with DB2 V7.2 with 16Gb RAM, of which 8Gb has been 'reserved' for DB2 - the server is dedicated to DB2.

When I try to increase my database manager SHEAPTHRES from 50,000 (4Kb) to 102,000, i keep receiving an SQL0987 error.

My database config:
    DBHEAP = 10,000 (4 Kb)
    UTIL_HEAP_SZ= 24,156 (4kb) and
    I have 1 BUFFERPOOL = 0.5Gb
    (with smaller settings for PCKCACHE = < 1 Mb & LOCKLIST = 4Mb)

I also get the same SQL0987 error when i try to increase my 1 bufferpool.

When i run a Unix command, TOPAS, there is always less than 10% of 16Gb being used so the resources are there apparently.

Is there a setting i am missing out on? I read somewhere where someone said the DBM Config was restricted to 2Gb but i haven't seen it anywhere in IBM doco.

Does anyone else have this problem? It seems i can only take my DBM/DB settings up to 2Gb.

I don't recall the exact limits (you can search this forum and see if you can find a previous post on this subject) but there is definitely a limit if you are using the 32-bit version of DB2. The limits vary depending on which OS is being used.

In the 64-bit version of DB2, the limits are significantly higher (much higher than you will ever have to worry about).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

DB2 on 64-Bit AIX & SQL0987

Thanks Marcus,

It seems our o/s was on 32-bit even though it is 64 bit capable. So now that we've reconfigured it to be 64-bit, i still can't get pass the SQL0987 error.

We thought it may have been the AIX limits set in /etc/security/limits but we've increased the 'soft' limits to 8Gb.

Now our system is at 64-bit and the limits = 8Gb but upon reboot (to enable the limits to take effect), i'm still stuck with the SQL0987 error.

Any ideas?

(BTW If anyone goes from 32-bit to 64-bit on AIX, and then increases their 'limits' - be warned to install an APAR first. Our server went down due to a corrupt root file system and we spent all of Sat recovering. )