Thread: VB6 and MSDE

Red face Unanswered: VB6 and MSDE

1) Has anyone succesfully used the MSDE with their applications?

2) Is it a better choice than Access tables?

3) How did you install it on the client machines? Did you use a separate install or can you install it with your application?

Thank You

Peter

Thumbs up MSDE and VB6

I used it by having a "full install" on a single computer and having all the other computers using "client" installs and then having them connect to the MSDE database by using ODBC. We have seen a speed improvment when we built our application this way.

Peter - What are your concerns ... What prompted you to consider the shift from access to msde ?

Wink

Originally posted by rnealejr
    Peter - What are your concerns ... What prompted you to consider the shift from access to msde ?
    My biggest concern is with the users monkeying around with the database. After all sometimes the users can be such curious little monkeys...

Peter

If vb6 is your front-end to the access dbs then you can still password protect and encrypt the access dbs - to prevent users from accessing the db (except through your application).

Thumbs up Jet or MSDE?

If you're developing stand-alone applications use may use Jet. But if your database is shared on a net you must use MSDE indeed.

You'll need to do a full install on a computer (like reallen said) and just install your app on the others (the OLE-DB or ODBC drivers will be distributed with your setup). You'll need to specify the "connection string" indicating the server, database, user and password.

MSDE is a "Sql Server light". MSDE 1.0 is the engine of Sql Server 7 and MSDE 2000 A is the engine of Sql Server 7 Sp3a.

Different than Access or Sql Server, MSDE does not have a front-end (administration tool) but you may use Access (since 2000 version) to do it. But first you'll need to create a database by using a "Create Database <name>" in a connection through VB.

How MSDE is client/server I don't need to say why it's a better choice than Jet (Access) to develop in a sharing ambient.

For those readers who are viewing this thread - Access will work over a network and does support concurrent users (usually no more than 25) - ironically msde has significant less support for concurrent users (5 - then performance will be reduced). Access is not just used for stand-alone applications.

Smile that's right

Indeed, Jet supports concurrent threads but it's not the better choice in this situation, even whether these threads are few.

MSDE 2000 A supports a concurrence up to 25 users despite the 5 users in its version 1 as you can see at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/do...s/download.asp

Here's an explanation of the use of each one:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...l/acmsdeop.asp

The last lines say:

"Use Jet if:

- You want the highest compatibility with Access 97 or earlier.
    - Your environment has a small number of simultaneous users.
    - You have very low resources, such as memory or disk.
    - Ease of use is a primary concern.

Use MSDE if:

- You want to develop from a single code base, from a single user to thousands of users.
    - You expect a future need for greater scalability.
    - You require easy merge replication with the central server.
    - You need the best security.
    - You need great reliability, such as transaction logging.
    - Your system is online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    - You need stored procedures and triggers."

But at that link you'll see a complete comparison of these databases by Microsoft.

Fabiano - If an individual is experienced with access and msde then they know the benefit difference between msde and access. However, when posting on this forum - making an incorrect statement like
    But if your database is shared on a net you must use MSDE indeed.
    will confuse and mislead novice users - hence my post.

And please do not get overly pious by quoting microsoft - as you work with microsoft you will begin to realize that they are not the most reputable source - experience is:
    Commands and log entries are available to monitor instances where more than five workloads are executed concurrently, a situation that can cause slower performance even on well-tuned systems.
    ms link

Thumbs up

My friend rnealejr,

In fact, I didn't feel these limitations yet. I've got some projects based in both Jet and MSDE. Yes, Jet is a good choice too, depending on the project. I have some projects running on MSDE databases with a little bit more of concurrence than those 5 and, believe it, I didn't need to configure the MSDE to accept them. Of course it's not a huge database with very large concurrency, it's about 7 or 8 users on-line in these cases. But when the project foresees a few more than these I often advise to use Sql Server, Postgre SQL or even MySql.

I have used Jet in cases that the concurrency doesn't be beyond 3 or 4 users on-line. The needing of local replication of Jet files (manually or not) implies in a traffic that might be a serious problem. Ever a user runs an Jet-based app this file is copied locally generating more traffic than a client/server-based app.

Well, if MS is a reputable source of information I don't know. But I prefer to believe that MS is the better choice to get information about their own products. And if MS has a bad reputation why do we still insist to use windows, ie, visual studio, access, sql server... ?

I agree that with the experience we can make a better evaluation of each product. You're right. But we have to insist to the beginners to learn more about client/server, n-tier development and other "new" tecnologies for their own growth.

I know we're all here to help and be helped. Thank you for doing your part. Certainly I'll need your help too someday!

Fabiano