Unanswered: Beginners Question

I have a form with a table as it's source. A command button on this form runs a macro with a WHERE condition that calls a query. A second from is then opened with the query results as it's source.

Is it possible to return the results of this query into the first form without using a subform? How can I do this?

If it is not possible is there another approach that I can take?

Many thanks.

Somewhere in Form2. You could place it in the Form2 'OnCurrent' event or perhaps in the 'OnClick' event on a button control:

Code:
    Forms![Form1].RecordSource = Me.RecordSource
    Forms![Form1].Requery

Thanks CyberLynx,

Actually, I'm not happy using a second form at all and would prefer to just run the query from form1 and return the results to form1.

Originally posted by PeteShay
    Thanks CyberLynx,

Actually, I'm not happy using a second form at all and would prefer to just run the query from form1 and return the results to form1.
    Would you be satisfied with a list box on form1 showing the results of your query (assuming it doesn't return more than 1K records or so)? It will be readonly. There are a couple of ways to approach this.

1) OnClick runs a sub which builds a SQL string from the data in your form controls and uses it to set the list box rowsource.

2) OnClick requeries the listbox bound to a stored query which references the appropriate controls in your form.

Using this technique along with appropriate listbox properties is a quick way to focus on either a single record or a group.

Thanks for your reply,

I am very new to this (this is my first database!).

I have a table - MailingList - containing a list of names, addresses etc and a form - DataEntry - with this table as it source. I have a text box on the form in which the user will type a surname then click a button which I want to update the form to contain only records from the table with this surname.

At the moment, I can send the results to a second form by having a macro execute when the button is clicked - the macro performs the OpenForm action with the following WHERE condition

[MailingList]![Surname]=[Forms]![DataEntry]![SurnameSearch].

However, I don't wish to use a second form, just update the first.

Appreciate your patience, I'm at the early stages of trying to get to grips with access...

Thanks.

In that case I would just use the filter property of the form itself.

In the button's OnClick sub:

Me.Filter = "Surname=""Your surname""
    Me.FilterOn = True
    Me.Requery

Strings have to be handled carefully.

Or.......

Me.Filter = "[Surname] = '" & Me.SurnameTextBox & "'"
    Me.FilterOn = True
    Me.Requery

Thanks bluejamul and CyberLynx, that worked just great.

I put a second textbox and button on the from to do the same, but with a different field (autonumber) in the table.

When I enter a value in the textbox (Code) and click the button (CodeSearch) I get the following error:

Run-time error '2001';

You cancelled the previous operation.

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

As I said, using the Surname search as you recommended works just fine.

Many thanks.

LIKE instead of = works.