Unanswered: Explain / Generating tables

Hi

When I create an event monitor for statements by the Control Center and I give it the name "TEST1", then a table is created with the name STMT_TEST1.

When I remove it by the Control Center, it's only removed from the event-monitor-view of the Control Center, but the corresponding table still exists.

Is that right ???

When I create 1000 event monitors during 1 year, so I will have 1000 tables in my database ???

UDB 8.1.3, Solaris

Marc

Drop event monitor will not drop event_monitor tables. You need to drop it explicitly.

Regards
    Prakash

Thanks

But this must be a bug ???

Marc

Event Monitors

Hi Marc.

I am not able to comment whether it is a bug or not however i feel that when you redirect an event monitor to a table the table needs to be present first so therefore you need to explicitly drop it. That explains the needful.

At our end we redirect the event monitors to flat files.

Cheers!!!

Nitin

No. Its not a bug. In document, this is clearly mentioned. This is how event monitor works.

Regards
    Prakash

Re: Event Monitors

Where can I specify to have the event monitor files redirected to files instaed of table.

When I remove an event monitor, I want the correspondind data (files or table) to be deleted !!!

I really don't want to delete explicitly all the tables, this is absolutely user unfriendly.

Thanks

That's the way it is

Hi,

The only way is to manually have a process that trunctates/drop the tables or you need to delete the files.

The event monitor does not take care of this.

Regards

Nitin.
    HTH

Nitin

Ask the experienced rather than the learned

Re: That's the way it is

Well, I have to say that I like more the event monitoring of udb 7.1.

- I don't want to create a tablespace just for putting the event monitor
    tables in, in test environment perhaps, but in production environment definitively not
    - I don't want to mix a user tablespace with event monitor tables

I don't understand why in udb 8.1 it's not possible to chose between table or file from the control center

If you are concerened about the performance of that database(i mean, is it production?), then read on ...

Capturing your event monitor to a table is not a good idea as it will drastically slow down your transaction response time (even to the extent of 30 to 40% I heard).... I understand that the resource taken by the event monitor INSERT is not reflected in your database snapshot ...

The best is to capture your event records to a pipe and use an application to read it ... But the pipe option is not practical for most shops ...

So the only other available option is to capture using Files and preferabley with NOBLOCKING option ...

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

BTW, why do you need 1000 event monitors a year ...

1000 event monitors for a database a year seems a big number to me .. Sorry if I don't understand your environment

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Of course, I don't need 1000 event monitors. I don't understand the design of the event monitor with the table option in udb 8.1, for me this is (drop table manually, performance, ...) a step backward and not a help, so I think the file option is the best.

Marc

Hi

I want to see how long takes an SQL by the event monitor. In the event monitor table for statement (STMT), I have 2 column
    START_TIME
    STOP_TIME
    The value in this fields is always 0000-11-30-00.00.00.000000.

Why do I not have the timestamp of the current time ?

Marc