Unanswered: losing decimal places

I have a problem with a database I inherited that was created with EQUIS. The result value field is set as a long integer field because it is joined to an Auto # field in a many-to-one relationship. My problem is that I need two decimal places in order to analyze the results accurately. Is there any way to set this field to double or other field size that will allow decimal places?

I'm glad that this forum exists and hope there's an answer out there somewhere! Thanks for listening!

Mary

Re: losing decimal places

Originally posted by mbeaton
    I have a problem with a database I inherited that was created with EQUIS. The result value field is set as a long integer field because it is joined to an Auto # field in a many-to-one relationship. My problem is that I need two decimal places in order to analyze the results accurately. Is there any way to set this field to double or other field size that will allow decimal places?

I'm glad that this forum exists and hope there's an answer out there somewhere! Thanks for listening!

Mary
    Mary,

You won't be able to change the result field's data type and keep the relationship intact... However, if you want, you could use the field's data in a query to create a new calculated field something like "fldNewNumber: CDbl(fldOldNumber)" and set the format to Standard... That would give you two decimal places... You could then update that data to the table in question into a new field... or, better yet, use the query itself to do the analysis from and save storing redundant data... It's up to you...

HTH

Re: losing decimal places

Thank you! I will try!

Originally posted by Trudi
    Mary,

You won't be able to change the result field's data type and keep the relationship intact... However, if you want, you could use the field's data in a query to create a new calculated field something like "fldNewNumber: CDbl(fldOldNumber)" and set the format to Standard... That would give you two decimal places... You could then update that data to the table in question into a new field... or, better yet, use the query itself to do the analysis from and save storing redundant data... It's up to you...

HTH