Hi,

I'm new to these forums and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I am creating a database of my DVD collection so that I may create my own personal web site with the info (using MySQL and PHP). I have searched through these forums and have found some useful tips on how best to design the database (thank you guys).

I was wondering the best way to approach listing, say, the top three stars per film, i.e. each film will have a cast list, but obviously 1 or more of the cast are principle members for instance, take Die Hard - this has around 20 or more in the cast, but Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman and Bonnie Bedelia would be considered the 'stars' of the film and therefore I should list these three first on my page. I assume this would require some sort of seperate indication within the database?

Also, I have noticed that everyone says to 'only store the data once', so with regard to the year of the film release, would it make sense to have a seperate table containing all the years and then associate these with the films or is that taking it too far?

I am a complete newbie to this and I am trying to get it right the first time, instead of finding I have to redesign the db at a later date.

Any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,