Unanswered: Excel to DBF IV conversion problem: Decimal fractions change

Hello everybody,

I am just fiddling with a problem a cannot solve: I have an Excel sheet containing three columns: ID, GridCode, Probability. What I want to do is to save this Excel sheet to an already created DBF IV file, so I just copy and paste the values to the DBF file. Everything looks fine (probabilities range from 0 to 1 (e.g. 0.03542), so I need the decimal fractions on the right hand side of the decimal point). When I save the file and reopen it again, the values in the probability column have changed from, e.g., 0.03542 to 3542.00000. I tried different decimal fraction values and setting the cell format to scientific but nothing worked. What do I miss here?

Thanks in advance

Jan

PS: FYI the already created DBF file is an ArcView attribute file.
    Last edited by iTSMAN; 12-08-03 at 13:30.

Re: Excel to DBF IV conversion problem: Decimal fractions change

I'm not familiar with DB 5, but try this. 1) Change your XL cells to "custom" formating and import or 2) Save the the XL sheet as a CSV file and then import into DB5

Originally posted by iTSMAN
    Hello everybody,

I am just fiddling with a problem a cannot solve: I have an Excel sheet containing three columns: ID, GridCode, Probability. What I want to do is to save this Excel sheet to an already created DBF IV file, so I just copy and paste the values to the DBF file. Everything looks fine (probabilities range from 0 to 1 (e.g. 0.03542), so I need the decimal fractions on the right hand side of the decimal point). When I save the file and reopen it again, the values in the probability column have changed from, e.g., 0.03542 to 3542.00000. I tried different decimal fraction values and setting the cell format to scientific but nothing worked. What do I miss here?

Thanks in advance

Jan

PS: FYI the already created DBF file is an ArcView attribute file.
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

You're sure the regional settings of Windows are the same
    (decimal , or . thousands seperator etc.)