Unanswered: what is indexing

hi,
    I am quite new to db side..So anyone can pls describe me about the indexing in sql, its need, implementation etc , or any site if u can refer where i can detailabout indexing..

love
    raj

This is a large topic ... But simply put, indexes allow quicker access to data. Look into books by Ken Henderson/Ken England and research at amazon as well.

An index is like an index in a reference book, you look up what you want and go to the page number it references...

with out it, you'd have to start at page 1 of a book, and look on every page, 1 by 1, until you find what you're looking for...

which method would you choose?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

If you are using sql server (since you are in this forum) you can refer to "Sql Server Books Online" - which is an online reference utility supplied by ms when you install sql server.

Or think of a library and you are searching for a particular book. If you did not have an index you would have to search every shelf. If you have an index then you would go to the section/shelf/row/book... Basically, indexes shorten the path to the record(s) that you are trying to retrieve.

thnx rnealejr for the information.. So is the indexing basically on dba side, means while creating the table itself we need to declare the index.And in query we wil access particular row using the index number.I am using Oracle Db.So any online site where can I get the indexing sqls to get the overview..

You are using oracle ? Please respond and I will move your post to the oracle forum.

Originally posted by rnealejr
    You are using oracle ? Please respond and I will move your post to the oracle forum.

yeah I am using oracle.. how to access oracle forum.. whts the url?