Red face How can I convert files to .jpeg?

In the past, if I wanted to put a picture from the internet into my "My Pictures" file, all I had to do was right click, select "save pictures as...", and it automatically saved it as a .jpeg file. NOW, it either saves it as a regular (not picture) file, or with an .art suffix. Either way, I can't use the picture, or even see it again. I've tried just adding .jpeg to the end of the file name, but that still doesn't allow me to see the picture again. Is there a different way I should be using to download photos from the internet?? Or is there a way to convert the recent files I have to files I can use? Thanks so much!

The image can be in any number of formats - jpeg being the most common. What are the extensions when you say regular file ?

Wink

When I right-click on a picture which is a .jpeg file, I click, "Save picture as..." The two choices it gives me are ".art" or ".bmt." ("bitmap") The result, I guess, is that I have a photo SOMEWHERE that has a ".jpeg.bmt" extension. I just don't understand why I USED to be able to do the same process and ".jpeg" was one of the options. Now...everything I save as EITHER ".bmt" or ".art" disappears into cyber-space, and I can't retrieve it or use it.
    Last edited by Susanimher; 12-15-03 at 17:20.

.jpeg and .bmp being one of the common graphics extensions should allow you to view your graphics unless there is some corruption in the format or you have not specified the proper extension..why not you try this : right-click and click at "save as target as" and see if you get any better results..try to put .jpeg as the extension.if not putting .bmp,.gif ( if possible ) alone would be enough..
    hope this works..
    --faiz--

If you're still interested

Go to this link http://www.irfanview.com/ and download the FREE utility called irfanview...... it is an amazing tool really considering it's completely free! and it can do file extension conversions quite easily as well as batch file conversions!!!!! Bye Chuck