Unanswered: Post Question On Multiple Sites?

Hi, All!

Is it frowned upon to post the same questions on different sites? There is no guarantee that one would receive an answer on just one site.

Yea! or Nay!

If not,

How would/does one keep a running balance (deposits/debits) in a table? If a query, how?

Any help would be appreciated!

If so, please ignore the above and let me know.

Thanks in advance,

vbprogwb

And how would the site manager know that you posted to another site???? Let alone why would they care ... As for your question: I would think that you would not keep a "running balance" within a table itself ... You would do this in a report or form that displays information to a user/customer ...

I would think that you would not keep a "running balance" within a table itself
    an interesting philosophical point that!

i'm re-writing an accounting programme.

in the original rev i obeyed M. Owen's "golden rule" of not storing stuff that can be calculated. trouble is it takes forever to put up a balance sheet if you really take this approach to the extreme -- i did: my rev.1 essentially had only a "journal", and everything else was calculated "on-the-fly" as needed. after a few years of data, this became "on-its-knees".

i'm switching now to mySQL on a max-horsepower box to see if i can cut down the network overhead you get with a dumb .MDB backend, and maybe improve performance.

.........but i'm tempted to save some calc results in a table!

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

oh yes: one of the original questions.

post where you get answers that help!

and if you see mine
    http://www.dbforums.com/t973373.html
    you'll know i'm not the one to help you with running totals

izy

If it is a running total that I am accessing quite frequently, I will store it and update it as neccessary. Like izyrider after a while that process of calculating on the fly can bring a system to its knees. Plus add to that that a system requriements that limit the amount of time a user is allowed to wait for a report.

S-

Izy,

Ah ... My fog is clearing now ... I do have to confess to quasi-(not-following-my-advice) ... (So sue me!) I do use an "accumulator" table that keeps a running total of my hours, costs, etc ... I guess I read this post too literally ... I read it as keeping a running total within the detail itself (like having an extra column for an accumulator ... BAD IDEA)

- Mike

mmmmm

so we get a trade-off.

current thoughts for my rev 2.1 would be to recalc AND SAVE all stuff that would be used in reporting when the user migrates to the reporting screen. the good news is that reports should fly. the bad news is that the reporting screen will be sticky to pull up while all the calcs run.

maybe it's different with sql server: it's delivered tomorrow so i have no idea yet.

izy

PS: anyone know a good forum for A-as-front-end and mySQL-as-backend? (a born optimist!)

izy,

Here's what I do: Since my "cost" reports require all the detail of each line item (except for labor - which is a single line item) I let the report chew away on the groupings and subtotals ... The only time spent is on retrieving the rows from the various source tables ... As for my reporting interface I have a form with option buttons for the report to be run ... You can guess where it goes from there ... I do confess to having a luxury tho... Here there are no jobs that run year in and year out accumulating ever increasing charges and labor... There is constant turnover so pulling a report is reasonable time-wise.

I guess (off the top of my head) that for a job that spans years, what I would do is make an intermediate table that was an accumulator by month for the job to reduce the record crunch and detail that in a report and then give the user the option to see line item detail within a given period within that framework.

Originally posted by M Owen
    izy,

Here's what I do: Since my "cost" reports require all the detail of each line item (except for labor - which is a single line item) I let the report chew away on the groupings and subtotals ... The only time spent is on retrieving the rows from the various source tables ... As for my reporting interface I have a form with option buttons for the report to be run ... You can guess where it goes from there ... I do confess to having a luxury tho... Here there are no jobs that run year in and year out accumulating ever increasing charges and labor... There is constant turnover so pulling a report is reasonable time-wise.

I guess (off the top of my head) that for a job that spans years, what I would do is make an intermediate table that was an accumulator by month for the job to reduce the record crunch and detail that in a report and then give the user the option to see line item detail within a given period within that framework.
    HI, All!

Thanks to all who responded!!

I am a VERY BIG TIME NEWBIE to VBA. I work for a family-owned business. He wants me to create a "Account Book" that will simulate a bank account. Debit or credit a balance. Is there any way of accomplishing this. I have the tables (tblAccount_Type; tblTrans_Type; tblBalanced; tblCategory; tblTransaction) He's okay with the tables. His other specification is: once a month, when statement arrives from bank this checkbox is used to balance with the statement. After the entry has been checked it is moved to a “Balanced Table”. This table has the same fields as the Transaction table.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

vbprogwb

PS

Thanks for the reply concerning posting to other web sites.