Unanswered: SQL ODBC Connection and VPN

I'm stumped.....

I work remotely and have established a VPN connection to a SQL Server machine. I have no problems connecting to the SQL Server with Enterprise Manager, but when I attempt to set up an ODBC connection, I keep getting "SQL Server does not exist or Access Denied".

This after I have an established Enterprise Manager connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brian

Re: SQL ODBC Connection and VPN

Originally posted by bmartin
    I'm stumped.....

I work remotely and have established a VPN connection to a SQL Server machine. I have no problems connecting to the SQL Server with Enterprise Manager, but when I attempt to set up an ODBC connection, I keep getting "SQL Server does not exist or Access Denied".

This after I have an established Enterprise Manager connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brian

you may want to try using the ip of the server instead of the server name. I know that with my vpn i dont authenitcate through the pdc so i cant see the dns server
    Jim

Thanks Jim - I've tried the server name and the server IP to no avail. I was wondering if there was somewhere within SQL Server where there may be an option to disallow remote odbc connections??

I'm thinking it may be a SQL security issue, but that's simply a guess. It could also be it's not recognizing the VPN connection for some reason.

I've done this before on other VPN connections without a problem.

Brian

What's the connection string look like? Are you using the same login?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Originally posted by bmartin
    Thanks Jim - I've tried the server name and the server IP to no avail. I was wondering if there was somewhere within SQL Server where there may be an option to disallow remote odbc connections??

I'm thinking it may be a SQL security issue, but that's simply a guess. It could also be it's not recognizing the VPN connection for some reason.

I've done this before on other VPN connections without a problem.

Brian
    The only remote settings that im familure with have to do with remote servers not remote odbc connections. In fact i dont remember any restrictions on an odbc connection. The security was always handled by the login id. I may be wrong though, lets see if anyone else has an idea.
    Jim

Yep, I've tried using the same information as an ODBC connection string used internally but get the same error when connecting like that via the VPN.

FYI, I set up the same ODBC connection fine on the server itself while connected via Remote Desktop. It's just when I try to set up the ODBC connection locally on my laptop that I get the error.

Brian

shameless bump (nt)

nm