Unanswered: ERP search ( Progress vs. MS SQL )

I just found this forum today and signed up.
    I am inthe process of evaluating and selecting an ERP vendor for the company that I work for.
    We had 2 personalized DEMO's and will have 2 more this and next week. Then we need to sit down with the upper management and make a decision on which ERP vendor to chose ( based on functionality, price, implementation, technology ).
    One demo that we've seen looked very good as far as functionality and it addressed the majority of our needs. The only "problem "that I foresee is that this ERP vendor runs on a Progress database. Our IT consultant told me to look only at ERP systems that run on MSSQL databases. I guess I am pretty confused as far as what to do if the ERP vendor that runs on progress has the best opverall performance.
    It all boils down to Progress vs. MSSQL.
    What is your overall opinion and suggestion?
    Anybody has any experience with ERP implementations of this kind? Maybe we can learn from each other.
    Thanks in advance !

Re: ERP search ( Progress vs. MS SQL )

Originally posted by adi_mitrea
    I just found this forum today and signed up.
    I am inthe process of evaluating and selecting an ERP vendor for the company that I work for.
    We had 2 personalized DEMO's and will have 2 more this and next week. Then we need to sit down with the upper management and make a decision on which ERP vendor to chose ( based on functionality, price, implementation, technology ).
    One demo that we've seen looked very good as far as functionality and it addressed the majority of our needs. The only "problem "that I foresee is that this ERP vendor runs on a Progress database. Our IT consultant told me to look only at ERP systems that run on MSSQL databases. I guess I am pretty confused as far as what to do if the ERP vendor that runs on progress has the best opverall performance.
    It all boils down to Progress vs. MSSQL.
    What is your overall opinion and suggestion?
    Anybody has any experience with ERP implementations of this kind? Maybe we can learn from each other.
    Thanks in advance !
    Hi
    I'm experienced Progress database designer and programmer. I've been working with this technology over 10 years. Our branch is not ERP system (we develope a very large system for the bank accountancy), but it doesn't matter. Progress technology is reliable, database is easy to administrate and Progress Technical Support offers services on a high level. Applications written in 4GL language can be customized faster than using another programming tools. That's my opinion. I don't know MS technology so I cannot compare it to Progress. If you have any more detailed questions about Progress technology - let me know on this forum.
    Regards
    Bogdan.