Thread: New to Sybase

Unanswered: New to Sybase

Hi,

I'm trying to learn Sybase and I have a bunch of stupid questions. Are there any good books on Sybase for a developer? Any tutorials on the web? I have a background developing applications in Oracle. I'm confused with what I have been reading in the book Sybase SQL Server 11. Is the term SQL Server in this book any way related to SQL Server from Microsoft? Both Sybase SQL Server and Microsoft's SQL Server speak about transaction sql. They look the same. While going through the book I get the feeling that I'm learing Microsoft's SQL Server rather than Sybase since the authors go on referring to SQL Server INSTEAD of Sybase. The first part of the book (T-sql etc) talks about SQL Server doing this and that but not Sybase doing this and that.. If I have to develop applications in Sybase what should I learn?

I'm going to work on a new project which needs a decent working knowledge of Sybase. I do not want to learn Microsoft's SQL Server instead.

Please help

-S

Are there any good books on Sybase for a developer? Any tutorials on the web?
    http://sybooks.sybase.com/as.html
    is a good start.

There are plenty of dedicated Sybase sites like Rob's http://www.sypron.nl.

Rob has also published an excellent Book on Sybase.

I'm confused with what I have been reading in the book Sybase SQL Server 11. Is the term SQL Server in this book any way related to SQL Server from Microsoft? Both Sybase SQL Server and Microsoft's SQL Server speak about transaction sql. They look the same.
    Sybase SQL Server and Microsoft SQL Server used to be one and the same under Sybase's license agreement with Microsoft to develop and sell Sybase SQL Server on Windows platform in mid-90's. The deal broke away, and both went their own path with Sybase choosing to change name to ASE starting release 11.5.1.

There are still a lot of similarities with the fundamental aspects of MS-SQL Server and Sybase ASE. To put in lay man's term, SYbase ASE is a SQL Server without the security bugs that is a feature in MS SQL Server.

If I have to develop applications in Sybase what should I learn?
    Sybase has it's own set of dev tools called Power Builder. However it also works perfectly with VB, C++, Delphi etc.. etc...

Thank You, Willy.
    -Msrambik

Originally posted by willy_and_the_ci
    Are there any good books on Sybase for a developer? Any tutorials on the web?
    http://sybooks.sybase.com/as.html
    is a good start.

There are plenty of dedicated Sybase sites like Rob's http://www.sypron.nl.

Rob has also published an excellent Book on Sybase.

I'm confused with what I have been reading in the book Sybase SQL Server 11. Is the term SQL Server in this book any way related to SQL Server from Microsoft? Both Sybase SQL Server and Microsoft's SQL Server speak about transaction sql. They look the same.
    Sybase SQL Server and Microsoft SQL Server used to be one and the same under Sybase's license agreement with Microsoft to develop and sell Sybase SQL Server on Windows platform in mid-90's. The deal broke away, and both went their own path with Sybase choosing to change name to ASE starting release 11.5.1.

There are still a lot of similarities with the fundamental aspects of MS-SQL Server and Sybase ASE. To put in lay man's term, SYbase ASE is a SQL Server without the security bugs that is a feature in MS SQL Server.

If I have to develop applications in Sybase what should I learn?
    Sybase has it's own set of dev tools called Power Builder. However it also works perfectly with VB, C++, Delphi etc.. etc...

Sybase and MS SQL Server both use T/SQL so dont worry your time is not wasted learning it! :-)