Unanswered: Deactivating Replication

Hi,
    We have a set up of Transactional replication, with Pull subscription. I want to deactivate the replication. How do I do it? Will stopping the Log Reader Agent suffice? I know the subcription will be deactivated after 72 hours. What do I need to do to the Publisher? How do I deactivate it?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: Deactivating Replication

What do you mean about deactivating replication? Do you want to drop a subscription or you want to drop everything(publication and subscription)? Or you just want to stop it for a while?

I want to stop subscription for a few months before eventually dropping everything-Publication and subscription.
    I know the subscription will be inactive after 72 hours. Do you think its a good idea to stop the log reader? We can always start it to perform a one time synchronization if required.

I think I have figured out how to disable the publication... In SQL EM, select the Publisher, right click on the replication and "Disable Publisher" and follow the steps..

Do the same on the distributor........

Is that right...Am I missing any steps?

Thanks for your help.

If a few months is the duration, I would suggest that you drop the subscription and the publication. Not only because SQL expires replication agents but having replication setup would make DDL changes harder. If you want to keep the replication setup, you can script it. A few months later if you decide to install it, you can just run the script and the replication should be back up and running, assuming you keep up with all the changes in the database.

When dropping the replication, remember to drop subscriptions first and clean all the jobs in the subscriber, then drop the publication. You can use the Wizard to do that.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the advice, that sounds good!!