Unanswered: Loading a table from MS SQL Server into Oracle

All,

I have a table in MS SQL Server 2000 database in which I want to load into Oracle database. Can anyone provide step by step instructions on how to go through this process?

Thanks alot!

Why don't you convert the table into a text file and use sqlloader to load the data into oracle database.

I don't know any other method.

Sorry, If this doesn't suit ur purpose

If your Oracle database is located on a Windows machine, you can create an ODBC connection to the database, then connect Oracle to ODBC through a part of Oracle called Heterogenous Services. The information contained about doing that is rather lengthy, so look it up in the documentation.

This information can also be found at "otn.oracle.com/documentation/oracle9i.html" -- search for "HS" and look for the "Heterogenous Connectivity Administrator's Guide"

If Oracle is not on Windows, the sqlldr solution mentioned previously is easiest.

JoeB

Both Oracle and SQL Server reside on Windows 2003 Server. I don't have the option of exporting just one table in SQL Server. It looks as if I have to export the whole database unless I missed read something. What database connection types should I use? Microsoft OLE DB ? Oracle in OraHome? Please advise.

Thanks!

Originally posted by tdev
    Both Oracle and SQL Server reside on Windows 2003 Server. I don't have the option of exporting just one table in SQL Server. It looks as if I have to export the whole database unless I missed read something. What database connection types should I use? Microsoft OLE DB ? Oracle in OraHome? Please advise.

Thanks!
    Use DTS from SQL Server to a flat file, create an ODBC driver to your Oracle db and using the DTS package in SQL Server import the flat file into the Oracle DB .. done

The table that I have in SQL Server contains a LONG RAW data type. How can I export the data in this table over to ORACLE database without getting an error about the data type LONG?
    ORA-01754: A table may contain only one column of type LONG.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by tdev; 12-10-03 at 23:14.