Unanswered: Radio group using different items?

Forms 9i question:
    Is it possible to create a radio group using different items? I have 3 different items called morn/afternoon/evening (all modelled as char(2))and wish the user to be able to select only one of these. The return value would simply be Y to indicate that slot had been taken.
    I was thinking I could create a new item called say chosen_slot which would have the option to choose one of morn/afternoon/evening. Although doing this how do you associate the return value of each radio button to its corresponding item value (i.e. if the user selects morn how can I set the morn value in the database to Y)?
    Or is there another way to prevent the user from selecting more than 1?
    On the topic of radio buttons can you grey out (or not let the user select) an option if say the value is Y?
    Thanks for any help!

Re: Radio group using different items?

Originally posted by mharris
    Forms 9i question:
    Is it possible to create a radio group using different items? I have 3 different items called morn/afternoon/evening (all modelled as char(2))and wish the user to be able to select only one of these. The return value would simply be Y to indicate that slot had been taken.
    I was thinking I could create a new item called say chosen_slot which would have the option to choose one of morn/afternoon/evening. Although doing this how do you associate the return value of each radio button to its corresponding item value (i.e. if the user selects morn how can I set the morn value in the database to Y)?
    Or is there another way to prevent the user from selecting more than 1?
    On the topic of radio buttons can you grey out (or not let the user select) an option if say the value is Y?
    Thanks for any help!
    I am trying to place the context of your question - from my understanding there are 3 time slots, Morning, Afternoon and Evening. Furthermore, if the user wants to say book a morning slot, they should be able to check if the slot is available or not...

If the above is correct, why not use a combobox (drop down) to select the time slot, and then display its availability on a boilerplate label.
    rgs,

Ghostman

Thanks for the reply.

Basic background is user selects a date from a calendar and then a time slot. Some time slots will be "filled up" so obviously want to tell the user that it is not available (greying out the slot and preventing selection would be ideal). They then select only one slot and when submitting it "fills up" the slot.
    I was considering using a drop-down menu but it would be a better user interface if I could do it with the use of radio buttons (but this is not straight-forward as morn/aftern/evenin are separate items).
    How would you display the availability on the drop-down as Im not sure what a boilerplate label is?