Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5

    Post Unanswered: Logical log full

    Hi all,

    Logical logs are full and hence I couln't able to login to server.
    Can anyone help me to solve this problem.
    BTW, I am using window version informix 7.31 .

    Advance Thanks

    Rajan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    92
    Hi,

    One of the simplest way to solve this is to set the LTAPEDEV parameter of %ONCONFIG file to NUL and then take a backup of logical logs using:

    ontape -a

    You need to reset this parameter back to the actual tape device if any. Also remember to take a zero level archive of the instance immediately.

    Regards,
    Shriyan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5

    Post

    Originally posted by vpshriyan
    Hi,

    One of the simplest way to solve this is to set the LTAPEDEV parameter of %ONCONFIG file to NUL and then take a backup of logical logs using:

    ontape -a

    You need to reset this parameter back to the actual tape device if any. Also remember to take a zero level archive of the instance immediately.

    Regards,
    Shriyan
    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.
    I believe logical log backup is possible only when the server is online.
    FYI, my server is in offline mode I couldn't able to make online since the logical logs are full.
    Any other solution....

    Regards

    Rajan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    92
    Rajan:

    Would you try to put the instance to online mode and post the messages logged at database server's message log file?

    Message file located at a path gathered by this command:
    findstr "MSGPATH" %INFORMIXDIR%\etc\%ONCONFIG%

    Regards,
    Shriyan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5

    Thumbs down

    Originally posted by vpshriyan
    Rajan:

    Would you try to put the instance to online mode and post the messages logged at database server's message log file?

    Message file located at a path gathered by this command:
    findstr "MSGPATH" %INFORMIXDIR%\etc\%ONCONFIG%

    Regards,
    Shriyan
    Hi,

    I believe the message log file entry will be made only after the server is online. I couldn't able to login only. FYI, I tried through windows service to start the server instance. Is there any otherway by which we can avoid the logical log entry?.

    Regards

    Rajan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    92
    Hi,

    If an informix instance is initiated for shared memory, by using any object like oninit -v, onmonitor->Mode-Startup->Mode->Online or via registered windows services channel; database server logs events, regardless of the fact that it is/was successful in shared memory initialization.

    Apart from on screen error displays and $ONCONFIG - CONSOLE routed errors, the only other source of information of the events happening at an engine is message log only.

    Please study the contents, if you could post it, It would help in diagnosing the problem in a better manner.

    Regards,
    Shriyan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    9

    Re: Logical log full

    can anyone help me in getting the "Fmpjdbc12.jar" file. I am desperately looking for that.
    Please some one help me out in this regard.
    Reply me back to pbharath_iitm@yahoo.co.in

    Thanks,
    Bharath

    Originally posted by rajankkrs
    Hi all,

    Logical logs are full and hence I couln't able to login to server.
    Can anyone help me to solve this problem.
    BTW, I am using window version informix 7.31 .

    Advance Thanks

    Rajan

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    92
    Rajan:

    Follow the steps below:

    1. Edit %INFORMIXDIR%\etc\%ONCONFIG% for LTAPEDEV set it to NUL
    2. Start the database server instance.
    3. Take a command window & execute onstat -m to monitor the progress.
    4. If the instance comes to online mode, issue onstat -l to see logical logs status.
    5. If needed issue a dummy logical log backup using ontape or onbar.

    Please post your findings and observations.
    Regards,
    Shriyan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5

    Thumbs down

    Originally posted by vpshriyan
    Rajan:

    Follow the steps below:

    1. Edit %INFORMIXDIR%\etc\%ONCONFIG% for LTAPEDEV set it to NUL
    2. Start the database server instance.
    3. Take a command window & execute onstat -m to monitor the progress.
    4. If the instance comes to online mode, issue onstat -l to see logical logs status.
    5. If needed issue a dummy logical log backup using ontape or onbar.

    Please post your findings and observations.
    Regards,
    Shriyan
    Shriyan:

    I couldn't continue the steps beyond step 2 since I couldn't able to start database server instance.
    Will there be any other reason for the start up failure of database server instance other than logical logs are full.

    Regards

    Rajan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    92
    Rajan:

    Other problem, if any can only be ascertained, if you could post a snapshot of the message log. There could be hundreds of reasons for a datbase server not getting initialized for shared memory!!

    Regards,
    Shriyan

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    5
    Originally posted by vpshriyan
    Rajan:

    Other problem, if any can only be ascertained, if you could post a snapshot of the message log. There could be hundreds of reasons for a datbase server not getting initialized for shared memory!!

    Regards,
    Shriyan
    Shriyan:

    Herewith I have attached conol_oft.zip containig message log & console log file.

    Thanks

    Rajan
    Attached Files Attached Files

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    92
    Rajan:

    We actually wanted the last day's messages only, any way thanks for the input.

    There seems to be some discrepancy between the log files with regard to number of used logical logs. %ONCONFIG% parameter changes documented in the ol_oft.log says:

    Thu Aug 14 09:27:50 2003
    15:01:19 Onconfig parameter LOGFILES modified from 10 to 9.

    where as console messages say:
    <<Informix Dynamic Server>>> Logical Log 39 Complete.
    <<Informix Dynamic Server>>> Logical Log Files are Full -- Backup is Needed

    Please find out which is the correct figure and update it in %ONCONFIG% - LOGFILES parameter. Please also set the following params.
    LTAPEDEV NUL # Log tape device path

    After making these 2 changes start the databaser server engine.

    Regards,
    Shriyan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •