Unanswered: auto-increment column....

I need some quick help. I need to create some tables in Oracle9i that I need help with. I need to have 1 column be a primary key that will be a number that automatically increments whenever a new row is added. For example, in MS Access, you can set a column data type to auto_number. This column is a not null value and it will autmatically insert an incremented value whenever you insert any rows. Any help in how to do this in Oracle? I have been looking into making a default value in a constraint for that column, but am getting lost.

Any help appreciated!!!

-DJ

Re: auto-increment column....

You can do it by using Sequence in Oracle.

Originally posted by djtech2k
    I need some quick help. I need to create some tables in Oracle9i that I need help with. I need to have 1 column be a primary key that will be a number that automatically increments whenever a new row is added. For example, in MS Access, you can set a column data type to auto_number. This column is a not null value and it will autmatically insert an incremented value whenever you insert any rows. Any help in how to do this in Oracle? I have been looking into making a default value in a constraint for that column, but am getting lost.

Any help appreciated!!!

-DJ

create a sequence for the pk_<table_name>

create sequence sq_<table_name> minvalue 1; [optional increment, maxvalue ...]

insert into <table_name> (pk_<table_name>) values (sq_<table_name>.nextval);

thanks for the reply guys. Is there any other way to do it so that it is a little more automated. What I mean is so that this column would automatically be populated with an incremented number (+1 from the largest number in the table) any time a row was entered, without having to specify a seperate "insert" statement for that column?

thanks for the reply guys. Is there any other way to do it so that it is a little more automated. What I mean is so that this column would automatically be populated with an incremented number (+1 from the largest number in the table) any time a row was entered, without having to specify a seperate "insert" statement for that column?

http://www.dbforums.com/t972816.html

U can use a trigger which fires before every insert. In the trigger body write the code to increment the column variable.
    select max(col) into n from table_name
    :new.col:=n+1

First you create Sequence (this is the "auto number")

Code:
    CREATE SEQUENCE sequence_name
    INCREMENT BY 1
    START WITH 1
    MINVALUE 1
    Then you create a Before Trigger on your table

Code:
    CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER trigger_name
    BEFORE INSERT ON table_name
    FOR EACH ROW
    DECLARE

lv_seq   number;

BEGIN

Select sequence_name.NextVal
       Into lv_seq
       From Dual;	 

:new.table_primary_key_column := lv_seq;

EXCEPTION
       -- Error Handler 
    END;
    this will get called before your insert is executed, and determine the next value of the sequence.

Provided Answers: 1
    Carloa is correct, but why declare variables where none are needed, and why add an exception handler? This will do:

Code:
    CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER trigger_name
    BEFORE INSERT ON table_name
    FOR EACH ROW
    BEGIN

Select sequence_name.NextVal
       Into :new.table_primary_key_column
       From Dual;	 

END;

Yeah, I like that better, selecting directly into the :new.column.

I Just have a habit of trapping exceptions so that we can return a user-friendly error instead of

ora-99999 whatever the error was

Provided Answers: 1
    Sorry, I was nit-picking really - but I always think "less is more" when it comes to programming!

this is what I have used in the past.
    I needed a column with a sequence for when I loaded data through sqlloader since the file was all lines of text, but had no way to order the text.

Similar to Andrew's code.

PHP Code:
    drop sequence zero_seq2;

create sequence zero_seq2;

create or replace trigger xindex_sequence
        before insert on XINDEX

for each row

declare

v_seq number;

begin
                select zero_seq2
    .nextval into v_seq from dual;
            if 
    INSERTING then

:new.seq_no := v_seq;

end if;
    end;

- The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...