Unanswered: Link to .dbf table in Access

hi,

I am trying to link a .dbf table in Access 2000 as dBase IV, but I got the error message: External table not in expected format.

I think the problem is, that I have a memo field in the .dbf table.
    Additional I have a fpt file. I read some messages in this forum and I realised that I have a FoxPro table, and that's why I got the message.

Do I have to use a ODBC or can I make it simplier? If I do have to use ODBC, how doe it works?

Thanks in advance,
    Eniko

When I go to link a table, I have the option of Microsoft FoxPro in the Files of type pull down list. If you do not have it, you may be able to add it by going through the Access installer and choose more database drivers.

hi,

thanks for suggestion, but I don't have Microsoft Foxpro in the list. Only dBase formats...
    and the company policy makes it difficult to run the installer on my desktop.
    are you sure, that this is a solution? In this case I will try it again and again till I get the installer.

I don't have a foxpro file with which to test this solution and I am using access 97. This is just one possible solution. It may work, but without being able to test it, I can't say for sure. If you have ODBC drivers for foxpro (probably also available from the Access installer), that is just another possible solution.

I searched for that driver.

really, in Access 97 I have the option for Microsoft FoxPro, but in Access 2000 not.

I tried to search for installer on microsoft.com and I found one installer, but it:

...does not include Microsoft Jet, the Microsoft Jet OLE DB Provider, the Desktop Database Drivers ODBC Driver, or the Visual FoxPro ODBC driver.

Access 2002/XP does not have FoxPro in the Files of type list either, but adding a new odbc driver, I found several VFP entries which may be what you need. Check if that is in Access 2000's add ODBC driver. To get there, I chose Link table and from the Files of type list, I choose odbc. I had to click the add a new driver button from there.

Talking

Thanks a lot,

it works