Unanswered: database inconsistant logfile out of space aix

We are DB2 7.2 on the AIX platform. We do not have circular logging. Last night our log file ran out of space. Today we increased the space in our directory. We were getting file permission errors in the db2diag.log about accessing the last log file. We changed the rights to 777. We stopped getting the log file permission problem. I can do a db2stop/start and db2admin stop/start and everything comes up/goes down fine. DB2diag.log doesn't give any error message. However, the database is saying it is inconsistant. I've tried logging forward and that worked ok, but the database is still inconsistant. It looks like my only backup is bad too. It's a canned product from a vender and it inserts transactions while it monitors network activity. Nobody took an initial backup and I couldn't get one while it was running. Any suggestions on getting my database back to normal??

Re: database inconsistant logfile out of space aix

Hi,

what exactly makes you think your db is inconsistent? Can you connect?

Johann

Originally posted by chinatrain99
    We are DB2 7.2 on the AIX platform. We do not have circular logging. Last night our log file ran out of space. Today we increased the space in our directory. We were getting file permission errors in the db2diag.log about accessing the last log file. We changed the rights to 777. We stopped getting the log file permission problem. I can do a db2stop/start and db2admin stop/start and everything comes up/goes down fine. DB2diag.log doesn't give any error message. However, the database is saying it is inconsistant. I've tried logging forward and that worked ok, but the database is still inconsistant. It looks like my only backup is bad too. It's a canned product from a vender and it inserts transactions while it monitors network activity. Nobody took an initial backup and I couldn't get one while it was running. Any suggestions on getting my database back to normal??

MORE INFO...

when i configure the database, the status screen database consistant field is "no".

also, when I try to drill down using the control center (or do a db2 connect from a command line) I get:

SQL1042C AN UNEXPECTED SYSTEM ERROR OCCURED.

I ran the db2ln command (seen it in a post and was desperate) and it gave me an error about permissions on my last log. So, the logging is still a problem...making the database inconsistant. My backup, when I try to restore it, will not let me redirect the containers. It's looking for/at something in my messed up database that is not allowing it to work.

Re: MORE INFO...

Hi,

you may want to open a case with IBM support. Also, in order to be able to save whatever is possible, read up on the db2dart tool. This tool can check the database and retrieve table data to flat files.

Johann

Originally posted by chinatrain99
    when i configure the database, the status screen database consistant field is "no".

also, when I try to drill down using the control center (or do a db2 connect from a command line) I get:

SQL1042C AN UNEXPECTED SYSTEM ERROR OCCURED.

I ran the db2ln command (seen it in a post and was desperate) and it gave me an error about permissions on my last log. So, the logging is still a problem...making the database inconsistant. My backup, when I try to restore it, will not let me redirect the containers. It's looking for/at something in my messed up database that is not allowing it to work.

Re: MORE INFO...

You have 'messed' up with some permissions on directories ... Try running db2iupdt .... That may help

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by jsander
    Hi,

you may want to open a case with IBM support. Also, in order to be able to save whatever is possible, read up on the db2dart tool. This tool can check the database and retrieve table data to flat files.

Johann
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.