Unanswered: Database compare

Hi ,

We need to compare two databases from two different server. I tried generating database DDL using db2look and then using UNIX 'diff' command to check for the differences. But its giving me whole lot of differences even though there is a blank line in between.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
    j

Provided Answers: 5
    I do not know of any specific tool that will do what you want. You could try to do the following:

From your two databases A & B:

Generate a third DB (C) from the DDL of A.
    db2move from B to C. If there are no errors, then A & B are the same.

HTH

Andy

Re: Database compare

Hi,

3rd party tools like Powerdesigner DataArchitect should be able to compare two physical data models after reverse engineering from an odbc data source.

db2look does not lend itself well for diffing, unless you slice the statements into paragraphs, convert those paragraphs to one liners, sort them and then do the diff.

Another option would be to compare the system catalogs, if you just look for tables or indexes etc.

Johann

Originally posted by jfkuser
    Hi ,

We need to compare two databases from two different server. I tried generating database DDL using db2look and then using UNIX 'diff' command to check for the differences. But its giving me whole lot of differences even though there is a blank line in between.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance
    j

You could try WinSQL by Synametrics (http://www.synametrics.com/Synametri...p/Products.jsp) or, if you are willing to spends some $$$, try ErWin or DBArtisan.

Cheers,

Julius

You need WinSQL professional to use the database diff feature ...

If this is a one time requirement, yes, you can download a fully functional verison of winsql professinal and use the feature ... If not, it will cost $$s but less than many other tools

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by jsasvari
    You could try WinSQL by Synametrics (http://www.synametrics.com/Synametri...p/Products.jsp) or, if you are willing to spends some $$$, try ErWin or DBArtisan.

Cheers,

Julius
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.