Unanswered: Upgrade 6.5 to 2000 - error in imp/exp via named pipe

I have two servers:

SQL 6.5 = DEV3
    SQL 2000 = FE1
    (Both are running on ISO domain.)
    User ID on ISO = jack
    User Jack is also added in the local Admin group on both servers (DEV3, FE1).

I am logged on on both servers using this id and SQL server services are also running under this domain id.
    When I upgrade the database I got the folowing error(when it reaches on "export/Import via named pipe").

=====================

Export.exe on the remote machine was hung...

Export Exit Code: 259 - export.exe -CodePage 1252 -DeviceType Pipe -AllTables yes -MasterPath c:\MSSQL\DATA\MASTER.DAT -DatabaseName s4felix -DevicePath \\.\pipe\~cnvpipe0

Import Exit Code: -1 - ~cnvpipe0

Msg 4854, Level 21, State 1, Server FE1, Procedure , Line 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]****

Time:12-11-2003 15:51:46.528

Error return from function CreateFile

in file CnvPipe.cpp

Line=143

rc=5

Msg=Access is denied.

==============================

Anyone who ever had this problem and got through or any type of help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PLEASE !!!!! Upgrade 6.5 to 2000 - error in imp/exp via named pipe!!!! HELP

Originally posted by nmajeed
    I have two servers:

SQL 6.5 = DEV3
    SQL 2000 = FE1
    (Both are running on ISO domain.)
    User ID on ISO = jack
    User Jack is also added in the local Admin group on both servers (DEV3, FE1).

I am logged on on both servers using this id and SQL server services are also running under this domain id.
    When I upgrade the database I got the folowing error(when it reaches on "export/Import via named pipe").

=====================

Export.exe on the remote machine was hung...

Export Exit Code: 259 - export.exe -CodePage 1252 -DeviceType Pipe -AllTables yes -MasterPath c:\MSSQL\DATA\MASTER.DAT -DatabaseName s4felix -DevicePath \\.\pipe\~cnvpipe0

Import Exit Code: -1 - ~cnvpipe0

Msg 4854, Level 21, State 1, Server FE1, Procedure , Line 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]****

Time:12-11-2003 15:51:46.528

Error return from function CreateFile

in file CnvPipe.cpp

Line=143

rc=5

Msg=Access is denied.

==============================

Anyone who ever had this problem and got through or any type of help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What rights does this domain account have in both sql servers and within the domain ?

Originally posted by rnealejr
    What rights does this domain account have in both sql servers and within the domain ?
    On both SQL server it is under Administrator group.

did you leave named pipes enabled on the destination server?
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

Is the login part of the domain admins and is it a sa within both sql servers ?

Is the login part of the domain admins and is it a sa within both sql servers ?
    Thanks Guys,

I got the solution.
    That is a known BUG with SP3. I will post the solution sometime later.

Thanks all for help.

Do you mean the following (Funny thing, this article did not exist 2 days ago):

Upgrade the operating system of the server that is running SQL Server 6.5 to Windows 2000, and then upgrade the SQL Server 6.5 databases to SQL Server 2000 SP3.
    Back up, and then restore the SQL Server 6.5 databases to the computer that is running Windows 2000 Server. Next, upgrade SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 2000 SP3. To do so, follow these steps:
    On a Windows 2000-based computer, install SQL Server 6.5 with service pack 5a.

Note Before you install SQL Server 6.5, make sure that SQL Server 2000 is not installed on the computer that is running Windows 2000.
    On a Windows NT-based computer, back up the SQL Server 6.5 databases.
    On a Windows 2000-based computer, restore the backup of the SQL Server 6.5 databases you retrieved from the Windows NT-based computer.
    On the Windows 2000-based computer, install SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 3.
    On the Windows 2000-based computer, upgrade the SQL Server 6.5 databases to SQL Server 2000 SP3.

Do you mean the following (Funny thing, this article did not exist 2 days ago):

Upgrade the operating system of the server that is running SQL Server 6.5 to Windows 2000, and then upgrade the SQL Server 6.5 databases to SQL Server 2000 SP3.
    Back up, and then restore the SQL Server 6.5 databases to the computer that is running Windows 2000 Server. Next, upgrade SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 2000 SP3. To do so, follow these steps:
    On a Windows 2000-based computer, install SQL Server 6.5 with service pack 5a.

Note Before you install SQL Server 6.5, make sure that SQL Server 2000 is not installed on the computer that is running Windows 2000.
    On a Windows NT-based computer, back up the SQL Server 6.5 databases.
    On a Windows 2000-based computer, restore the backup of the SQL Server 6.5 databases you retrieved from the Windows NT-based computer.
    On the Windows 2000-based computer, install SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 3.
    On the Windows 2000-based computer, upgrade the SQL Server 6.5 databases to SQL Server 2000 SP3.
    Whatdo u mean?????????????????? U mean this BUG was not posted on MicroSoft site 2 days before?????????????
    WHY????????????????? DID THEY JUST REALYZED?????????????? MORE FUNNY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway I worked on this prob last night and come across the above topic too from microsoft. (but u know....................... never believed Micro - - - - ). I kept on searching the the solution (from guys like U and got the answer. Actually the problem is really with SP3. Reason being in SP3 they have tightened the security that got bad(worst) with upgrade.
    There is a file cnv6x70.dll(something like that coz I dont rememebr exactly) in ..\\80\COM folder that is the ROOT CAUSE of the problem. The file thats comes with RTM version (original) was not updated in SP1 and SP2 till SP3.
    So If you upgrade with less than SP2 it is OK.... or..................
    with SP3 you have to rename SP3 version of this dll and copy the orig dll (from RTM version... CD) ..upgrade.. and then switch back the renamed file.

That's it.
    You really dont need to go through that FUNNY solution that is the WORAORUND for the BUG.

bye