Unanswered: SQL Proxy - Can't set account

I'm trying to get SQL Proxy setup on a SQL 2000 SP3 server (on Win2K with that's current on updates).

I read with interest the several topics regarding SQL Proxy problems but they all assume that you can set the Proxy account successfully.

When I attempt to uncheck the "Only users with SysAdmin privileges..." box and enter the login information for the Proxy I get the following error: "Unable to set the SQL Agent proxy account because of the reason listed below. 'Error executing extended stored procedure: Specified user can not login' "

The account I'm trying to use is a regular domain user account.

What's strange is that this is the same account that the Server & Server Agent services use (and they are working fine). This account has also been added to SQL as a login with system admin privileges. The account has also been made a local administrator on the server.

I've tried deleting & re-adding the account to SQL & assigning 'sa' privileges - to no avail.

In terms of testing the account, I can log into the server successfully using this account and can connect successfully to SQL with Query Analyzer using this account.

I've actually reloaded the OS & reinstalled SQL2000 and still have the problem.

So... I'm not able to even get to the point of seeing whether the Proxy is working - since I can't set the account.

I have the "same" setup running fine on over a dozen other servers - but this one's got me going bald!!!

Anyone have an idea what's going on?

Doug

Have you tried using xp_sqlagent_proxy_account ?

Yes.
    I tried it again just to check.

I get the same error when I run:
    exec master.dbo.xp_sqlagent_proxy_account N'SET',
    N'domain',
    N'username',
    N'password'

The error is : "Error executing extended stored procedure: Specified user can not login"