Question Unanswered: How do you add 1 with each new record without using autonumber? Please help!

The equivalent of Excel 1+previous cell, never used the expression builder and need a point in the right direction

Provided Answers: 1

Lightbulb Re: How do you add 1 with each new record without using autonumber? Please help!

Originally posted by Fraser2000
    The equivalent of Excel 1+previous cell, never used the expression builder and need a point in the right direction
    Do you want to do that on enter an new record? I seems difficult, but you can Export your Table to Excel, do that ther per AutoFill the Import it again, you can do it manually or programtticaly.
    [Just an Idea]

I've imported from Excel but the spreadsheet starts from 100001. What's the program to add1 for each new record?

Originally posted by Fraser2000
    I've imported from Excel but the spreadsheet starts from 100001. What's the program to add1 for each new record?
    Use a SQL statement to add 1. First you need to find the last number entered use the following code:

Dim lngMaxRecord As Long

' Fetch the highest number from your table and add 1 to it
    lngMaxRecord = DMax("MyRecordNumberField", "MyTable") + 1

You can then use this variable on your form or in an INSERT SQL statement to add a new record

Thanks for your help Justin, will give it a go.