Unanswered: Access 97 Disk or network error

I have Access 97 installed on a windows NT machine.
    When I open up access I get the following error message

Disk or network error

After clicking OK, another message appears

A system error occurred, or there isn't enough free memory to start Microsoft Aces. Close unneeded programs and try again.

I tried to reinstall the Access 97, and I get a message saying something like unable to create system.mdw please reboot a use workgroup administrator

Have done this but there is allready a system.mdw file here, and it has trouble creating a new one.

Hi,

Is there a .ldf file associated with your database if so delete it,

the memory error looks like your PC doesn't have enough ram to run access, is another program hogging all your memory? Have you restarted the machine?

Also try deleting the system.mdw for the reinstall

The error message appears when I go to open up access for the fist time, I quickly see the splash screen and then the message bleeps at me. I have tried delating the system.mdw file and creating a new one but when I use wrkgrp administrator it tells me that it cant create one but does not state a reason.

And I have also tried joining to that system.mdw file and other suggestions.

Also there is 128MB of ram, more than enough just to open access 97 have played around with the Virtual memory settings as well but this has not helped

delete the system.mdw and then re-install access, not sure if this will help.

Have a look in task manager to see whether any processes are hogging all the memory.

I have tried that, both times when I reinstalled the program I get an error message, regarding the creation of the system.mdw file there are no other process using any other resources have turned off viruses and tried it. Rebooted in safe mode. and rebooted in safemode with out networking.

I am sure this is going to be the most simpelest thing ever

what kind of error messages are you getting in all instances?

I walk through it
    I Click Start
    Programs
    Highlight Access 97 then Click the icon

FIRST MESSAGE APPEARS:

Disk or network error

I click ok:

SECOND MESSAGE APPEARS:

A system error occurred, or there isn't enough free memory to start Microsoft Aces. Close unneeded programs and try again.

The End.
    I have tried various other types of installations for this

Sorry I was refering to the reinstal .mdw errors

No dont have those errors on me the machine is at work.

Something along the lines of

error creating system.mdw please reboot and use workgroup administrator to create one.

I do have a system.mdw file and have tried various tricks like deleting a reinstalling removing old copies of it

I want to rip the PC to pieces

Any one able to help

To MS Access gods on this forum, thanks for your help.......

I sorted this one out my self and thought I would post the solution on here in case some one else comes across the problem.

Create a directory on the root of the (c) drive called temp. Change (c) to equal where you have installed access 97.

Thats all you neeed to do

c:\temp