Unanswered: export/import troubles

Hi,

I am trying to export a couple of databases from 8.1.7 to 9.2. When I do a full export as system and try to import I get massive failure. First problem seems to be that I can't create DMT in 9.2. I've tried creating LMT tablespaces by hand in 9.2, but can't figure out how to not export tablespace info while preserving user/tables/indexes/stored procedures, etc. because I would like to use LMT in 9.2

I think I know how to get around this, as I have most of the table and index creation scripts, but I doubt they are current (I've come in to this company cold and no one who would know wants to help -- long story), but I see a long and tedious process ahead.

Export options seem limited, but as I've found many times w/ Oracle, what seems apparent is nowhere near the whole story and all the docs I have don't seem to address these kind of issues, nor can I find much pertinent online info.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Michael

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Prior to starting import with FULL=YES
    PreCREATE the tablespaces (& empty tables) as you want them.
    Then on the import command use "IGNORE=YES".
    IMPORT does not overwrite existing tablespaces or tables by default.

Re: export/import troubles

Originally posted by mwege
    Hi,

I am trying to export a couple of databases from 8.1.7 to 9.2. When I do a full export as system and try to import I get massive failure. First problem seems to be that I can't create DMT in 9.2. I've tried creating LMT tablespaces by hand in 9.2, but can't figure out how to not export tablespace info while preserving user/tables/indexes/stored procedures, etc. because I would like to use LMT in 9.2

I think I know how to get around this, as I have most of the table and index creation scripts, but I doubt they are current (I've come in to this company cold and no one who would know wants to help -- long story), but I see a long and tedious process ahead.

Export options seem limited, but as I've found many times w/ Oracle, what seems apparent is nowhere near the whole story and all the docs I have don't seem to address these kind of issues, nor can I find much pertinent online info.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Michael
    Hi,
    First Import using the INDEXFILE parameter.
    You will get a file with tablespace specified.
    Edit the file to change the tablespace name and run against the database first. Then while importing specify IGNORE=Y.
    Hope this helps.

you could also create your 9i instance the way that you want it and import the individual schemas into you new instance instead of trying to do a full import.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

Originally posted by drew
    you could also create your 9i instance the way that you want it and import the individual schemas into you new instance instead of trying to do a full import.
    For creating the database before the import, if you edit the .dmp file, the first lines are the create tablespace sentences. Edit those lines for creating the tablespaces and datafiles. Also you can use the other lines for continuing with the database creation.
    Good luck.