Angry Unanswered: Field too small??

I'm playing around with creating XML messages out of the data that I am writing to Access tables. These aren't real XML messages, just in a similar format. I go through the process of adding a record to a table, and then create a string with that data and tags. I then write this "XML message" to a memo field in another table. It literally worked two times in a row, but now I always get error 3163: The field is too small...

This is the XML "message" and it is 616 characters long which should definitely fit in a memo field:

<Message><Function>FT</Function><User>JRN</User><DateTime>12/12/03 3:05:40 PM</DateTime><TradeDetails><TradeID>2566</TradeID><AssetID>1240</AssetID><Ticker>GCF4</Ticker><TradeDate>12/12/03</TradeDate><Quantity>18</Quantity><Price>409.7</Price><BuySell>B</BuySell><LongShort>L</LongShort><MsgType>MTOPEN</MsgType><Commission>-115</Commission><OtherCharge1>0</OtherCharge1><GrossAmountL>36450</GrossAmountL><NetAmountL>36335</NetAmountL><Margin>2025</Margin><StopPrice>407.7</StopPrice><StopType>HARD</StopType><TargetID>2566</TargetID><TradeStatus>PEND</TradeStatus><TradeType>BTO</TradeType></TradeDetails></Message>

What gives????

Why is putting a text string 616 characters long into a Memo field creating an error that says the field is too small?

Question

I am getting the same error when I try to copy and paste from an MS Works 4.0 database to Access 2002. I imported the works db into Access 2002 by saving it as a .dbf file but some of the text was truncated and I lost 2 entire fields. When I tried to type the data into the field I could not type past 55 characters.

In design view switch the field type from text to memo that will allow more characters to be put into the field.