Question Unanswered: Access Export to SQL Server

Hi there,

Is there an equivalent in SQL Server to Access' exporting functions?

I am converting an Access database to SQL Server. One of the features of this Access DB is that it has a form through which you can export specific table data as a tab-delimited text file, csv or an excel format.

To make matters worse, the data that I want to export comes from several tables that I have merged into a view. ie. I want to export the values returned by a SELECT * on the view.

I am a newbie to Access and SQL Server so I don't know the ins and outs of things. It looks like DTS may be able to do what I want, but I am not sure. Any thoughts/ideas?

Yes, dts and bcp.

You can add a SQL Server table or view to Access as a linked table, and then use the export function of access to export data as CSV.
    Shianmiin

Have you used the access upsizing wizard which converts your access database to sql server ?

DTS is the way to go!

For all out there not aware, I used the Import/Export Data Service (DTS) .

From there, you can choose to export your data as a text file (or several other options).

The tricky part for me came in the next window. If you want to export a table, you can just use the "Copy table/view from source DB" option. But that option won't show the view (for some odd reason)!

Instead, I used a "query to specify data" and just selected * from the view (don't know why I didn't think of that before).

Two windows later you can check "Save DTS Package" and select "SQL Server." Give it a name, etc. and then you can run it over and over if you need to.

Thanks for all the super-fast reponses!!!
    Last edited by clinton; 12-12-03 at 20:32.