Unanswered: Extracting Data from Excel

Hello. I need some newbie help with a VB script in excel.

I have one worksheet, called Dates, that contains several columns, but the two columns of importance are name and date:

A B C D
    1 Name Dates Age Height
    2 John 12/13/2003 11 5.1
    3 Sue 12/14/2003 12 5.2
    4 Tom 12/15/2003 13 5.3

Sorry, I think the formatting is messed up. There are 4 columns, Name, Dates, Age, and Height.

The number of rows of data is variable, so I can have several names and dates or a few, but I can assume the maximum is 100.

On another worksheet, called Summary, I need to extract the names and dates as long as they fall under a certain timeframe, for example, within 2 days.

I want the data that is extracted to be placed in the cells A1:B10 of the Summary worksheet. I do not expect more than 10 results.

I can write a mock-up code of what should happen... but I need help with visual basic notation...

y=1
    x=2
    Do until x=102
    If Dates!B[x] is < Current Date + 2
    Summary!A[y] = Dates!A[x]
    Summary!B[y] = Dates!B[x]
    y = y +1
    End If
    x = x+1
    Loop

If you can make sense of what I'm saying, your help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Yippeeee25; 12-12-03 at 20:34.

Re: Extracting Data from Excel

I just solved my own problem. Thanks anyway.

Originally posted by Yippeeee25
    Hello. I need some newbie help with a VB script in excel.

I have one worksheet, called Dates, that contains several columns, but the two columns of importance are name and date:

A B C D
    1 Name Dates Age Height
    2 John 12/13/2003 11 5.1
    3 Sue 12/14/2003 12 5.2
    4 Tom 12/15/2003 13 5.3

Sorry, I think the formatting is messed up. There are 4 columns, Name, Dates, Age, and Height.

The number of rows of data is variable, so I can have several names and dates or a few, but I can assume the maximum is 100.

On another worksheet, called Summary, I need to extract the names and dates as long as they fall under a certain timeframe, for example, within 2 days.

I want the data that is extracted to be placed in the cells A1:B10 of the Summary worksheet. I do not expect more than 10 results.

I can write a mock-up code of what should happen... but I need help with visual basic notation...

y=1
    x=2
    Do until x=102
    If Dates!B[x] is < Current Date + 2
    Summary!A[y] = Dates!A[x]
    Summary!B[y] = Dates!B[x]
    y = y +1
    End If
    x = x+1
    Loop

If you can make sense of what I'm saying, your help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Glad you solved it.

Just as a note: It might helps others if you would post how you solved it.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums