Hi everyone !

I've got some problems with the stability when using linked servers.
I've made some automated tasks that run through the nigh. They gather information from several remote server through VPN connection. As you can guess, it happens ocasionally some of the remote servers to be unreachable.
I found my problem one nigh when one of the remote severs was off line. It's job failed with the error:

[OLE/DB provider returned message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed]
[OLE/DB provider returned message: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed]
Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. Authentication failed.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Attempt to connect to database server (ol_raz_wh0) failed.]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80040e4d: Authentication failed.].

In that night all other jobs failed with the same error message.
Also in the morning when I tried to use the linked server connectivity I recieved the same error message.

Problem persisted until the restart of SQL Server 2000.

After that I succeeded to put the server in the same condition again. It happens when I overload the instance of the SQL Server with queries to the offlined remote server.
In that state I checked that the "test connection" for the ODBC DSN is o.k.
I experimented to open connection to the remote server creating an instance of the "ADODB.Connection" object using the "sp_OACreate" procedures and to establish connection. The "open" method fails with the upper error message.
I tryed to set the connection properties of the object before invoking the "open" method but this fails too.
I tryed to change the "AllowInProcess" option of the "OLE DB Provider" but this has no positive effect.

I understood that somehow the "OLE DB Provider" blocks totally.

My questions are:
- Is this "blocking" a known bug and does anybody know a fix or workaround techique.
- Is there any other way to reset the "OLE DB Provider" InProcess server except by restarting the instance of the SQL Server.

I hope, I wasn't too boring.

Thanks in advance for all opinions and writes.
All the best